Wednesday, August 1, 2007

27 days and counting...

until my firstborn goes to kindergarten. It makes my stomach flip just thinking about it. I think she is all set on school clothes. She even has a Hannah Montana t-shirt. I think that item of clothing alone makes her feel like a very big girl. She actually has a character shirt that isn't a cartoon...she's big time now.

Yesterday we spent the day hunting down school supplies. I say hunting instead of merely buying because I ended up going to 3 different stores. I do have a question though...why must I buy her 8 glue sticks? Do you really think she will go through 8 sticks of glue? Oh, and I'm also supposed to buy her 10 packets of 12X18 construction paper. 50 pencils? For a girl that can barely write? Um, how 'bout no. This sounds like a redistribution of school supply wealth to me.

Did I ever mention that Kimberly has a castle bank on her dresser? It was a gift from grandpa. Yesterday after coming home from Walmart, Kim was showing Daddy all her stuff. I said that I still had to go to Target and look for a binder and a backpack. Then she asks me if I can buy her a pokemon toy and I say no because I am already in the process of throwing away several bags of unloved toys from her gameroom.

"Well...I have my own money!" and she ran up the stairs to get her castle bank. When she came down, I started pulling out one dollar bills...then a few fives...then 5 twenties! She had $128 in her bank!

"Where did you get all this money?"

"I collect it."

We talked to Jeff's parents later in the evening and Grandpa denied putting twenties in there. He said he put some ones and some fives but not twenties. He suggested that maybe my mom put it in there but I know she wouldn't throw twenty dollar bills at a 5 year old. Jeff got off the phone sort of confused. If my parents didn't do it, and your mom didn't do it, then who?
I told him that it was his mom. He said no way, but there have been several times she has slipped me money and told me not to tell my fil. One time we were shopping and she gave a crying lady $20. The lady said that she needed cab fare to get to the battered womens shelter. Coincidentally, we were right next to a liquor store. But I kept my mouth shut when my mil told me not to tell.

My new mantra? You will not 'borrow' money from your 5 year old, you will not 'borrow' money from your 5 year old, you will not 'borrow' money from your 5 year old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"I collect it." Sounds like she gets that from her mommy. ;-)

Look at you raising a little money tycon.

What a lucky girl to have so much spending money.

Love your new mantra and your entertaining blog.

hermitgirl said...

lol! Ah, what the heck, all parents do it! lol

Post a Comment