Sunday, August 19, 2007

Gardening...I've stooped to a new level of boring :)

Okay, so from the look of Hurricane Deans projected path, I will be more that safe here in Texas. I'm not at all disappointed but I will say I was a liiiiiiiitle excited to see exactly what a storm like that was like. What do 100 mph winds look like? Sound like? Its for the best. My landscaping is safe. Speaking of landscaping...want to see it? Ok, here you go.

This first picture used to just be a muddy slosh pit. We had french drains put in but we always had standing water after it rained (did you know that Houston has more annual rainfall than Seattle? It's true!) Anyway, I was sick of the mosquitos and I was sick of the mud pit so I planted bulbs. Too many bulbs as I can now see because these leaves are all fighting for space and sunlight...


...as you can see here:
It's a mix of Caladiums, Elephant ears, Ginger and Potato vines. I wonder which species of plant will come out on top, and literally smother the life out of the others. I guess I could thin them out, but there are too many fucking mosquitos in that corner still. West nile virus anybody? Um, no thanks!

This vine across the back wall is starting to take shape. It will be gorgeous when it's all filled in, no?


Those spikey grassy things are weeds and have been pulled. That ivy looking viney thing creeping across the ground is a weed too, but it's a pretty weed so it gets to live. Plus if it floourishes and becomes a groundcover, we wont have to remulch our planter beds every 6 months. It's probably not my first choice for a groundcover but it is free and apparently it wants to live in my backyard, so I guess I'll let it. :)

Here is one of the beds in our front yard. I planted the Elephant ears but Kimberly and Jeff picked out all the flowers. Pink and purple from my Kimmy-girl, of course.


Too bad I can't get our Magnolia trees to bloom. I think the leaves on Magnolia trees are ugly because they are brown on the underside. But they are lovely for about a month in the springtime when they bloom so that makes them worth having to me.

Oh, and most importantly...Here is the grass. It has been loved and petted and preened by my husband...isn't it something to behold?


Oh, and just pretend to not see that brown patch of grass. That was from the Round-Up weed (and grass) killer fiasco last month. It's a touchy subject for Jeff and nobody wants to see a grown man cry.

3 comments:

Jaiden said...

Hey Stella great yard. I miss having the grass. I'm so tired of rocks, dirt and cactus. I bet your glad for different landscaping huh?

Kim said...

Hey Stella! Once I get my little girl to bed I will email you the pictures that I have of Kennedy. I can get your email from your blog so check back in a couple of hours and hopefully I sent them by then.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your backyard! So much room for the kids to run and play!!! And if you didn't mention that brown spot, I wouldn't have ever noticed it!!!

Post a Comment