Friday, August 31, 2007

It does a body good!

So I have gone walking twice this week. On wednesday I walked the mall before the stores opened and I did 2 miles without a problem. I was loving the air conditioning, my iPod, and the window shopping. The only problem was that I ended up shopping for real after the stores opened. Oh, and then Rhona met me there and we ate burger king for lunch. And yes I had the King sized whopper meal. With a diet coke. Apparently I have no control when it comes to food anymore.

Then yesterday I had Kennen's meet the teacher at preschool in the morning, so I missed work out time at the mall. No big deal, I just popped him in the stroller and started walking. I left at noon. In Texas. In August. not a good idea. I went about 3 miles this time but I was so wiped out from the sun, humidity and heat, that I just layed on the sofa and watched tv until Kim got off the bus. I have always hated to exercise. And this was the reason why. I don't like sweat. I don't like fatigue. BUT, today I feel fantastic! I am all bright eyed and bushy tailed. I'm taking a day off from walking today because it hurts to walk now but tomorrow, I'm back on my routine.

Kennen's meet the teacher went great! He is so sweet and excited. He kept saying, "Nenen ool!" (Kennen's School). His teacher asked me if he was potty trained, I said no. She asked how long I had been potty training him, and I said I wasn't. She asked me how old he was, I told her 29 months. She raised a judgmental eyebrow at me. I know what she's thinking. He is *old enough* to start the process, but I truely don't think he's ready. He has hit every milestone late. Except for the physical ones, like doing somersaults at 1 year old. My plan was to not even try until he is 3 years old, and here is my theory why. I think that children are just wired to use the bathroom and be able to pull down pants, get on the potty, wipe, flush, pull their own pants up and wash their hands when they are 3. Everything else before that is just mosty work for the parents. I think a 3 year old *knows* when they need to go, and doesn't need to be reminded the way a 2 year old needs to be reminded. Kennen already struggles with speech, with interpersonal relationships, with emotional coping skills. I don't want to give him another thing to struggle with that will cause him to doubt himself even more. Oh, and I wont use pull ups because I think they prolong the process also, so I want to be absolutely sure he is ready. Maybe I sound like an idiot and I am looking into this way to much, but I have done this before. Kim was completely potty trained at 2 1/2. Then she had a brother and it all went to shit. She wasn't potty trained officially until she was *gasp* 3. My good friend Rhona has a little girl that was terrified of the potty and screamed and trembled whenever she was made to sit on it. Rhona didn't make an issue out of it and one day her little girl said that she wanted big girl panties and wanted to go on the potty. She went for the first time and never had an accident. She was 3.

However, I'm going to give it a run today. I just want to be sure that my instincts are correct before I put up too much resistance. I'm off to super target (my home away from home) to buy a potty, boxer briefs, stamps and ink for a reward. We shall see how it goes!

2 comments:

tara said...

you go girl.bribing with m&ms helped

Keikicakes said...

Good luck! I agree with your entire blog! Even if M could do her poop in the potty from 20 mths...only now at 2-1/1 does she really understand the whole potty thing. She still doens't really tell us she hs to go but...she is getting better.

It really is more of a parent job before they are three and...seriously...we have so much other things to do... why add another thing to the list =)!!

I can't wait to read all the blogs about his potty training!!!

Post a Comment