Tuesday, August 7, 2007

woof!

Every once in awhile I check craigslist for their wares. I was supposed to be looking for more workout equipment for Jeff, but I checked out the pets section and I fell in love.

I have been thinking about getting a pet for awhile now...mostly for the kids. Kimberly gets teary eyed and says that she wishes she had her own dog. Kennen barks like a dog. That means he must be interested in dogs too, right?

Anyway, the doggy I saw was a year old and something in his little face just made me melt. He is a Pomeranian/Schipperke mix and is about a year old. He is a small dog, but sturdy enough to withstand 2 playful kids. I decided to go and take a look at him and Rhona and her 2 kids came with me. The four of them were just gushing over the doggy...then they were arguing who got to hold the leash...then they ran into a fire ant hill and started screaming...then a doggy tail got pulled. And the entire time, this sweet dog just wagged his tail and stood there calmly. He could be tricking me. Jeff and I have both been fooled by animals wishing to be adopted. I had the most hyper dog in the friggin planet named April, but when I chose her at the dog pound, she was sweet and serene and rested her weary puppy cheek against the back of my hand. When I picked her up the next day after she was spayed, she was a maniac. She was jumping and leaping and bounding with glee. She ran circles inside my 1989 two door toyota corolla all while dripping blood everywhere from her spay incision. She was crazy until she ran away from my mom. My mom tried to chase her down and ended up falling and needing thousands of dollars of dental work. Stupid dog. Poor Mom! Jeff one time bought a cat that acted like it loved him at the kitty pound but when Jeff brought it home, he didn't see it again for years because all of the sudden it hated men and would hide under his moms bed whenever Jeff was in the house. His mom still has that cat. They love each other.

Anyway, I adopted a dog and he will be coming home tomorrow evening after he gets neutered. I'm excited to finally have found a small, older but not too old, calm nice dog that wont bite my kids. I could be wrong...I have been tricked in the past...but I think that little Mateo will be a great addition to our family.

Isn't Mateo a cute name? The man I am buying him from named him that. I love it but nobody else in my house likes it. Well, Kennen might like it but he still doesn't speak very well, so he's not really in a position to side with me. We were at dinner at IHOP tonight and Kim kept saying, "Lets name him 'Black Man with poison'." I tried to shush her because people were staring but she kept saying it over and over again really loud. Finally she giggled and said, "Sorry...saying 'poison' is rude huh? How 'bout just Black Man?". I told her to hush up and eat her pancakes.
We might name him Pepper but I am still rooting for Mateo. Here are his pics...isn't he beautiful? Aren't you falling in love with his little puppy face as we speak?





No comments:

Post a Comment