Friday, August 3, 2007

Motherhood

I was talking to my friend Rhona yesterday about how motherhood is difficult in new ways as your kids hit different stages of development.

When you have a newborn that just.wont.stop.crying. you feel like you are in the deepest pits of hell. Then when you try to get sympathy from other mothers, they tell you that the infant stage is the easy part. That's when you think this person is the biggest moron. What could be harder than endless crying and no sleep?

Well, now that I have a 5 year old that cries to me because she feels like her friend doesn't like her anymore...I think I've found that this is so much worse. It's a hard knock life and it's bad enough growing up yourself. But you gain wisdom and self esteem and you become comfortable in your own skin.

Now all of the sudden your child is having their first social heartbreak, and it's WORSE than when I was little going through it myself. Doesn't the world know that this is the most special beautiful fun sweet spirited little girl in the whole wide world? What? I just feel that way because I'm her mother? No way. My daughter is amazing and you are blessed to be in the presence of such perfection.

The thing is, Kimberly is going through a very bratty stage and I really can't blame anyone for not wanting to play with her. I can be there for my daughter but I need to give her space to figure this out on her own. But it really really breaks my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment