Friday, May 30, 2008

Last day of school

Today I put Kimberly on the bus for the last time of her Kindergarten year. I'm so glad...I am definitely ready for a change. I am finding it harder and harder to wake up in the morning and manage time efficiently to get her out the door with everything on time. We have been rushing around like crazy ladies with me barking orders,

"Are your teeth brushed? Do it now! No not my toothbrush! Upstairs to use your own! You have two minutes!"

And then Kimberly, "Mom where's my snack? No, I don't want a baggie of cheerios again. That is baby food. I need a SNACK!" this is where I am supposed to come up with something wonderfully delicious, amazingly nutritious and of course in a brand name wrapper with NO PEANUTBUTTER! It is necessary for me to do this to keep up with the rest of the Moms in the land of suburban bliss.

I'm so over it. I'm ready for sleeping in, going swimming, going on playdates, waiting until the shade hits the sidewalk in the evenings when all the neighbor kids come out to play. I want to be able to pack the kids into my car and drive to Arizona. Or take an overnight camping trip. Or tag along with Jeff on his business trips to fascinating places like Midland, TX and Baton Rouge, LA.

Here is the scary thing though. If I feel overwhelmed of being a stay at home mom with one kid at school all day ever day, and one kid at preschool 2 half days a week, how am I ever going to handle a full time job? I feel like the biggest mental moron right now and I don't know if I could handle being organized. I forget so many details! I'm always pulling things together at the last second but I generally have a lackadaisical attitude about things. I think it is just a coping mechanism of staying home with two young children. You really cannot sweat the small stuff because you will have a nervous breakdown.

Kids are tyrranical and primitive and in the quest to give them a happy childhood, I just let a lot go. Like remembering to buy cool snacks. Or doing laundry. Or brushing my hair. I'm rockin mermaid hair most of the time. I do remember to pay bills on time, but if something like a doctors bill or a jury duty summons comes in the mail, it just falls off my radar. Or if my house is dirty, I get in the car and spend the day at IKEA instead of dealing with the work I need to do.

This sahm gig is really pretty luxurious I must admit. But in two years I get to put on fancy clothes and have a paid job. That sounds like heaven. I'm excited. But scared.

Oh well, I have 2 1/2 more years until Kennen goes to kindergarten. Hopefully I will get my shit together before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment