Wednesday, May 7, 2008

The Hunt

Jeff and I have been car shopping today.

We saw the one I wanted at a dealership and they let us test drive it by ourselves. Does anybody else think that is weird? Is that a new thing? Or is it just something they have always done for the married with kids crowd? Do I look more trustworthy than I did 6 years ago when we bought out last car? Maybe it is a successful sales pitch. I told him that I couldn't test drive it but would come back later because I had to pick up Kim and two of her friend off the bus for a playdate. He told me to take it home and take all the time that I needed. At first I thought he was being nice, but really it is a brilliant sales trick.

"Take it home. See how it looks in your driveway." That's what he said. And when we got it home, it looked damn good in my driveway. I agreed to stay home while Jeff took the truck back to the dealership to see if he could get a good price. I had fifty kids running around playing while my mind was buzzing with the thrill of possibly getting a new car.

Jeff called a few hours later and said that they wouldn't come down in price and that the payments were too high. He siad we would talk more about it tomorrow and that he was sick of car shopping. It's okay. I was disappointed at first but whatevs. I poured myself a glass of sympathy wine (instead of celebratory) and sat on my driveway talking to my neighbors.

bummer

Then can you guess what happened next? My baby turned the corner in a beautiful 2007 Tahoe! Holy shitballs, he actually did it! He tricked me...surprised me if you will! Ha ha, and then Kimberly asked him, "Daddy why did you lie?"

"This isn't a lie lovebug, this is a SURPRISE!"

hellz yeah it is!

It's glorious! I know that it's just a machine. A thing. Is it bad that a thing can make my heart race? Oh and what I want to know is that if it is so bad for the environment, why do they make it feel so damn good to drive. I'm in shock. I am so happy and so grateful! I'm giddy! I can't sleep. I want to go and drive my new truck and I'm thinking, 'where can I go at 11pm? How about Walmart! Yes! I think I need more milk!"

5 comments:

Angela said...

Congrats...you deserve it. Your first brand new car, how exciting!!! Can't wait to see pictures. Enjoy! :-)

Mrstx said...

Angela- I just spend 30 minutes catching up on your blog. I miss you! I can't believe you are graduating this month. You rock! And my truck is definitely used....but new to me, lol.

KBear said...

i felt the same way when we started shopping. but the dealership im dealing with totally took the wind from my sails,

they agreed 1400 trade in for my car - we signed the papers. then they went and looked at the car, and said, oh, the ac doesnt work, you owe us 500!!i freaked. nowhere in the contract did it say the car had to have running ac, nowhere did it say they could do this, and the ac was fine last week. i think it's a slipped wire. so i told matt we werent doing the trade if they could screw us like that. so he said he would have their mechanic look it over and if it's just a wire, hell give us back our 500 deposit (he kept it for the ac)

for 500, i dont know if i should fight it or not. i love the jeep, and want to keep it, but if they say there is a problem with the ac, i know theyll be lying! i dont know if i should say "yeah, well, too damn bad. it doesnt mention it in the contract, we signed the deal at 1400, your loss fucker!"

i hate buying stuff.. gr!

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! You will love the Tahoe - it's so fun to be one of the biggest cars on the road - you will never go back to a sedan!

Now its official, you can say you live the "Cinco Lifestyle" hahahahahaha Nothing screams suburbia better than a big ol SUV with kids in the back! hahaha

Keikicakes said...

Congratulations! The Tahoe is beautiful!!!

It's amazing how a machine can make you feel like you are a million bucks!

I'm surprised you didn't sleep in your car last night! When I got my first new car....I kept peeping out of the window to look at it in amazement that it was mine and I did the late night outing just because I could!

Enjoy you "CR lifestyle" mom!

Post a Comment