Thursday, May 17, 2007

Parasailing and my baby's got my back

I faced a huge fear while I was out of town. I have always wanted to parasail and I skipped happily up to the marina and paid for my ticket and then sat down and waited. And waited. As I waited Jeff kept chattering away about fishing or something boring like that and I guess my fight or flight response kicked in. I couldn't waste my $60 by running back to the hotel and crawling back in bed and never think about parasailing again so instead I kept snapping at Jeff. Fortunately he knows me well and laughed and put his hand on my arm and told me to relax. I flinched away from him and gave him a dirty look and he was like, 'okaaaaaaay, whatever.' Then I hugged him because that's what I needed and I felt a little better.

We got in the boat and they said the only thing we really needed to know was if we felt sick or were really going to freak out that we could do jumping jacks in the air because yelling for them to bring us down would be futile since they were letting out 600 feet of rope. Yikes! The first lady went up in the air and I was surprised that the boat just bobbed along at an idle speed. I was thinking it would be like water skiing and the boat would have to go fast to keep you in the air. She was up for 10 minutes but the time flew by and before I knew it they reeled her back into the boat and it was my turn.

They hooked me into my harness and the wind lifted me into the air and they started letting out line. I kept watching the boat get smaller and smaller and It was everything I could do to stay calm. Then all the sudden I started bumping around really violently. I was about to do my jumping jack and have them reel me down but then is shaking stopped and it was so quiet and peaceful. I forgot to be scared. It was so beautiful! The water was so clear and I could see the birds flying in circles below me. They looked so far away. I had a little nervous energy so I started flicking my thumb against my harness and HOLY SHIT! I was clicking my carribiner open and closed for at least 5 minutes. This is the thing hooking me to the rope on the boat. OMG If I had disconnected myself then I would have probably flown over to the Port Isabelle bridge and become roadkill. Then I shifted my weight a little and I heard and felt the friction of the ropes tightening. Oy vay! I want down! I would just focus on my baby (Jeff was the black dot in the boat) and then I would calm down. He wouldn't let anything happen to me. Who would iron his shirts then? j/k! Before I knew it though I felt myself start to free fall slowly back toward the boat. :( I was sad it was almost over. When I got close enough to see the 2 workers in the boat they had pulled out a fake sword and pretended that they were chopping the rope. Ha ha. Really funny motherfuckers. It actually was pretty funny. I got really low and they said, "Where are you going? OMG what's happening????!!!!!" and then they dipped my feet into the salty sea. I waved and smiled. I got back in the boat and hugged my honey. I'm so glad I did it but I think now that it's checked off my lifetime to do list, I will probably never do it again. Oh, and apparently that violent shaking I felt when I first got up there was the captain of the boat shaking my rope. Jeff yelled at him though. My baby's got my back. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like I'm cyber stalking you. LOL.

You have a much bigger set of ovaries than I do! I'd have loved to see you parasail and I would have been laughing like a hyena at your fun, but I would have never, ever, EVER done something like that!!

And with my luck, I'd have opened the harness thing you were flicking with your thumb. TOTALLY something I'd have done. I'm glad you're safe.

Mrstx said...

I love your cyber stalking! Your one of the few that actually leaves me comments. :)

PigeonHole said...

That sounds awesome! Michelle just went too. Cna't believe those men where messing with you. Good think you have a great man like Jeff. Someday you'll have to post your "list of things to do".
I've always wanted to go to Figi, but i found out this week that it is a 18 hour direct flight trip to Australia, so um maybe not. I cannot imagine being on a plane for almost an entire day...yuck-a-rama!

Post a Comment