Sunday, May 27, 2007

Birthday girl

My sweet firstborn child turned 5 on Friday!

Jeff left a present on the stairs for her to see when she first came down the stairs that morning. I was lounging in bed after Jeff left for work and I heard Kim creeping down the stairs. I heard her scream really loud and it scared me out of my half sleep. I sat up and she came walking in all incognito. Like she hadn't just peeked into the giftbag.

"Hi Mommy," she said all aloof.

"Did you see your present?"

Then a big mischevious grin eruped on her face and she said, 'I peeked!'

I told her she was allowed to open it and she ran off quickly and then came bouncing back with a puss-n-boots doll from Shrek 3. She loved it and hugged it and kept it for her very own.

I started making her swedish pancakes (both of our favorites...thank you IKEA for jarring your lingonberry sauce!) She told me she only wanted to eat one because she didn't want to be late.

"Late to what baby?"

"Late to my Pump it Up party!" she said with glee

I crushed her little bubble when I told her that 'today is the day you were born but tomorrow is your birthday party.' It just didn't compute in her brain. Then the tears started. Then the whiny voice came out to play. When grandma and grandpa called to wish her a Happy Birthday she gloomily told them, 'It's not my birthday'.

This happened last year because her birthday fell on a Thursday and her party was on Saturday. She was miserable until she blew out her candles and exclaimed, "I'm four now!", even though she had been 4 for a few days. I guess I should have seen this coming. I am seriously going to consider lying to Kennen during his preschool years about his actual birthday. Apparently party and cake=one year older. Her actual birthday ended up being sort of a bust. She was rude to her friends and just really bratty all day long. What a diva.

Her actual party was so much fun! We went to Pump it Up...which is a big room filled with big inflatable bouncy rooms and a huge slide and an obstacle course that I beat Jeff in a race on...again! What can I say? I'm built for speed! 4 of her preschool friends were there along with 12 of her neighborhood friends. The kids had fun, the dads had fun and I really liked talking to all the moms in between carrying Kennen back and forth between the slide and the bouncy castle. My bicep was on fire by the end of the party. Oh well...carrying my boy is the only exercise I get. Apparently it works because I have super freak polish strength in my arms. Anyway, back to the party. Only one child puked but I held her and gave her water and goldfish and within 10 minutes she was running around again. Kimberly got a lot of pretty pink toys and hugged all her little friends. It was cute to see her at the table with all her playmates clustered around her. It was even cuter to see them making small talk with each other. My friends son Lewis was talking to one girl about the movie Phantom of the Opera. They seriously talked for a full 10 minutes because they had both seen it and both loved that movie! How funny and cute it that? Ahhh, young love.

Well, Kim's birthday was a success but I am officially old because I'm wearing a knee brace now. I can't pump it up like I used to. ;)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kimmy, Sounds like she had a lot of fun...... sounds like you all had a lot of fun. kimmy didnt puke this time yeah.... Tell Kelly and Laurie i said Happy Bday as well.

Post a Comment