Monday, April 16, 2007

I love Houston for the dirt alone!

Part of my quest to become the housewife supreme includes gardening. I'm a desert rat from Arizona so basically my gardening experience before moving away from there was...well nothing really. I never knew that grass had a dormant season. I remember being shocked when one spring morning I looked out the window (this was when we lived in Illinois) and all of our 'dead' grass was lush and green. There were no new baby blades of grass like in AZ, it just turned from brown to green. Who knew? Not me. I'm having a blast because so far everything I have planted in Houston just grows and grows. I even have to turn off my sprinklers some times because there is so much rain! Did you know that Houston has more annual rainfall than Seattle? I only know this because when we moved from Illinois, we had a choice of moving to Seattle or Houston. I would have loved to live in the Pacific N.W. but Houston's housing market is cheapcheapcheap. Ooops, I'm rambling again.

Today I planted 80 flowering bulbs in planter boxes on my back patio. I have since learned that I planted them upside-down but I'm not scared. I have faith that my blooms will find the sky in this lush-green-everything-grows-like-crazy place. The kiddo's helped me by 'holding' handfuls of bulbs and by making little holes in the potting soil with their little fingers. I love free child labor. I think I'm going to make Kimberly vacuum later on today...

I used 5 cedar plank boxes to plant everything and it looks great...you will have to trust me on that since I lost my camera. Hopefully I'll find it by the time they start growing so I can keep you all (or y'all) posted with pictures.

Peace out!

3 comments:

MommyStamper said...

Awesome!!!! Can't wait to see this beautiful creation of yours. I am sure it will be beautiful. Gee...that's alot of beautifuls today:)

Mrstx said...

Well that's the bad thing about planting bulbs though. I'm used to instant gratification of seeing my new plants. Now I have to just sit and wait and stare at the dirt to see in any little shoots are sprouting.

Anonymous said...

Did the 80 bulbs find their way toward the sun??

Post a Comment