Tuesday, April 1, 2008

It is time

When we were moving to Texas, I wanted a new vehicle but we decided that we would buy a house first. Then we went a little nuts with square footage and wood floors and put ourselves into the 'house poor' category. There went my new car. Oh well, I think we are in good company. It seems as if the rest of the nation is house poor as well.

We thought of it this way though. We are young. Jeff was low on the scale of where he could go in his career. I will eventually go back to work. We will grow into this house and the mortgage. The great news is that it is happening! Jeff rock$ at his job. It's a little surprising to me because when we got married he was a waiter.

Anyway, the bad news is that my car is a total shit-mobile. Well, a shit-mobile that has no air conditioning and a drivers side window that will not roll up. Oh, and it's dirty. That last part is all my fault though. :D As much as I would love to have more disposable income, I can't and wont drive that car for another year. Now the shopping begins. Do I want something earth friendly? Absolutely! Do I want a gas guzzling hog? Kind of! Brand new Kia? Used Lexus? I really don't know. My standards are low because air conditioning and windows that roll up and down are the first "must haves" on my list. Leather is 3rd. I've learned that washable surfaces and Stella are a much better match.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I say go Hyundai. I love mine and they are so affordable. I just can't see spending twice as much for less car. I should get a commission from Hyundai. OH and I have had 4 now so I am an expert lol

~Penny~ said...

ok. I just did crazy research in October when I bought my car. Get a Honda civic. They are a nice sized family car and affordable. Plus they are low emissions and is great on gas. However, one regret I have, I wish I got the Hybrid model but it is more expensive.

Test drive, test drive, test drive.

Good luck bc I know it is a stressful experience!

Mrs. Erickson said...

love me a Volkswagen :)

tara said...

congrats on starting the procees of getting a new car!
Can't wait to see it!:)

Keikicakes said...

I say....get a car that you will feel good in!

A little funny for you...
M saw you drive by our house and said...what is in her car? She was referring to the sound your car made as you drove past!

Happy car shopping! You deserve it!

Genevieve said...

I have a second hand volvo and it is indestructible! I drove it for 3 weeks without any water in the radiator and it never stopped. My boy did it in his Nissan Laurel- which is also a really good car- and it blew the head gasket in 25 minutes. Unfortunately that was on the way to its new owner so he had to take $1000 off the price so the guy would still accept it.

Its the automotive equivalent of a pensioner and I look like a grandad, but nothing is anywhere near as safe or reliable as my trusty volvo. Its built like a tank. Oh yeah, and it has leather seats and the aircons got a mean grasp on climate control :D

Angela said...

Woohoo! I cannot wait to see what you get. You should get a brand new car since you've never had one of your very own - cause you totally deserve it. Go to Kbb.com and look around at the different brands, prices, and options. Then where your shoping you will have some ideas in mind for what you want and the price that it SHOULD be. You'll see a car that's just calling you, "Stella, your my owner".
I love my honda!!! When i went shopping i had some things in mind and i new it was not going to be white! When I my car all the things they had done to it, i just knew it was my car. 6 years later i still love it and it's only had one thing wrong. The AC went out last summer and i took it to the dealership it was like an $80 switch. Not bad.

I'm soo excited and happy for you, i can't wait to see what you get!!! Now i'm going to be wondering did you go gas guzzler, go green, go big, go small (hopefully not sports car 2-seater small, lol), go new, go used....oh i cannot wait!

KBear said...

i have a hyundai. DONT get an accent if you MUST have horsepower:) mine has 90.. it has to think about it first when you press the peddle down:) but it's a great little car.

yes, im spending a lot to fix the engine right now, but after that, it will last me another 5-10 years. and it's a 2001, so 2008 and it's the first time breaking down in the 4 years ive had it.

toyota is another make that is AMAZING. matt has a 91 celica. the only reason we dont have it on the road, is because we didnt have the money to put new brakes on it. and that car is almost 15 years old.. corollas are nice, inexpensive and really good on gas...

Jatorade said...

I don't know if its the same where you are but in Canada you get tax refunds for hybrids....just a though

Post a Comment