Thursday, April 17, 2008

makeup

I bought new makeup this week. I have been using Bare Minerals for about 5 or 6 years now and I have always loved it. I ran out of foundation a few weeks ago and I decided to try something new. I have broken capillaries on my face (which I swear are from pushing my son out of my hoo-ha) plus breakouts here and there. Bare Minerals is a great product, but I just wanted to try something with heavier coverage. A few days ago I found myself wandering over to the M.A.C. counter. I got a makeover and I loved their creamy facewash and their moisturizer. I can slather the moisturizer on very thick and I still don't look greasy. I am a desert rat and i swear living 22 years of my life in Arizona has taken a toll on my skin. I have wrinkles, and my skin is so dry. M.A.C. moisturizer is perfect for me.

However, I also brought home their Studio Tech foundation plus their pressed powder and I have to say, I am very unimpressed. When I put it on, it just kind of sits on top of my skin and looks caked on and flakey. I have applied it with a sponge and also with a foundation brush. It sucks applied both ways. Plus my pores look huge. I am going to return it on monday. I think I will just buy another jar of my Bare Minerals.

So my question is, what kind of makeup do you use? Do you love it? Hate it? Is there another type of M.A.C. foundation that would work better for dry skin?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Estee Lauder. I get the double coverage, but you moisturize then put it on. No powder is necessary. If you use powder, it will be too much. Just use the foundation and let it dry (which it does right away when you smooth it on). I LOVE it. I think you will be happy with it too. You can ask for a sample too if you want to try it out. Go to the counter, ask them to match your color (I use linen), then ask for a sample. They'll give you a tiny plastic cup with like 2-4 weeks worth in there. It's great!!! REPORT BACK on findings. :)

Anonymous said...

I use Bare Minerals only because I'm terrified of liquid foundation. I'm always afraid of blending and being that girl with the orange face. :)
I really do like Bare Minerals though. I like how it makes my skin feel.

~Penny~ said...

Hmm....I don't ever wear make-up. Day to day I just use Proactiv moisturizer. And I use Loreal powder concealer. Which is light, I only put it under my eyes.

I don't even know how to use foundation and all that other stuff :(

But my favorite is Bobby Brown Eye shadow and clear/pink lip-gloss. You know, for those nights out on the town :)

Anonymous said...

I like Origins. I can usually get away with their pressed powder as a foundation.

Kempy

Anonymous said...

I use Laura Mercier for my undereye concealer and her tinted moisturizer (like foundation but lighter and still good coverage). I simply put almay powder on top to set. I like Smashbox eyeshadows, Loreal eyeliner and Dior mascara. As for blush I like NARS "orgasm". And I don't wear alot of make-up really! I only put all this stuff on the days I actually go into the office or out for the evening. In the summer, I can get away with powder, mascara & gloss.

As for moisturizers, I use Dermalogica from the lady I get facials from - she's great and a friend of mine - so she's not out to screw me! You might want to talk to her about your skin - she is amazing!

rage said...

I don't wear makeup. I am too lazy to put it on.

tara said...

I use bare minerals. have been for only 6 months. I started to use it b/c I hated the heavy feeling of base and powder.
Return the MAC stuff and tell them it's the wrong shade. That stuff is too much $$ to keep if you don't like it.

Angela said...

I love mac powder. I have never tried their foundation. I just got some lancome foundation but i'm not so sure i like this kind since they discountinued the one i used... of course i'm still trying to learn how to blanace the ph in my skin so i'm afraid to introduce new things. My skin is still gross but getting so much better. I can actaully go all day without looking like i sprayed PAM all over my face. Go get a facial, i have learned everythign from those ladies...they are such a blessing (sorry for all the typos)

KBear said...

i use it when im not having to get up in the morning. if i apply it first thing int he morning, it's gone by the time i get to work, cause my eyes water.

i go to shoppers drug mart!!lol.. the True Blend whipped foundation i swear by. i have combination skin. some places are dry, some are oily, and this covers my skin, without feeling heavy, and blends in really well. i love it! i also have a cornsilk powder i apply overtop lightly to get rid of any oiliness:)

i prefer a powder though, cause it does leave a bit of a residue if you rub your sleeve against your face by accident!

Genevieve said...

I use a Dior foundation which is stupidly expensive ($72 but it may be much less in the US) but has lasted me aaages. It doesn't give me spots so I definitely recommend it. I hate that cakey look/feeling but I can get oily so I use a light clinique powder which doubles as my undereye concealer (don't know how much that one cost, I swiped it from my sister. naha!)

I just got a new clinique mascara and it rocks my world. My head was spun from an old one I used by saleslady jabber of 'buildable lashes'. And whaddya know its actually true.

Post a Comment