Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Oops!

I have been dying my hair at home now for over a year and I've been pretty successful with it. It is really cheap and I have learned what colors to buy and have relied on the ex hairdresser that works at Sallys Beauty Supply to guide me in the right direction. I usually dye my hair with a 8 neutral blonde mixed with equal parts of 20 volume developer. In the summer I go a little lighter with a 10N. I also squirt in a little 'Lock in Blonde' to keep from going brassy.

It's not always perfect but it is good enough for me. I would love to pay for hilights every 6 weeks, but my kids like to eat...I know, they are weird like that. Today though I used a 7N soy based dye with volume 20 and my hair turned brown! Apparently on the color scale, 8 is a blonde color and 7 is a medium brown. I've never used the soy based dye...I wonder if that did it. Or, I bet that I was supposed to use a 30 or 40 volume because I wanted to deposit a little color on my blonde hair.

Oh well. I am back to my natural color and I actually like it! I went shopping today and I kept thinking, "Wow! I'm a brunette. People are probably thinking, 'wow! look at that tall brown haired girl,' instead of the usual, 'wow! look at that tall blonde girl!' (wtf? spell check is telling me that 'blonde' is incorrect and that I should use 'blond' or 'blond e') whatevs.

Now though, I think I am going to take the next step in experimenting on my hair. I am going to try and do hilights. Just a few around my face. Dare I? Maybe I will just go to my trusty super duper cheap salon. I would tell you the name of the super duper salon, but I have decided to stop telling people about them. They are getting really busy lately and I have to actually make an appointment instead of just walking in on a whim. I guess word of mouth travels fast. Oh, did you want to see a pic of brunette Stella? here ya go:

6 comments:

~Penny~ said...

Umm...I love it!!

I love being a brunette so WELCOME Back to the club;)

Unknown said...

I just went back to brown a month ago. I think its a more forgiving hair color

KBear said...

i think it's an american/canadian thing with the blonde.

i know i have never spelt it blond, but i know i have seen it. i wonder if it's one of those colour/color words?

Hadley said...

You look great with both hair colors!

Angela said...

Looks great! I bet it makes your blue eyes pop (not that they need it). :-)
Your story reminds me way back in the day when your mom use to take us to that Frys on Univeristy and you would get an Ash blondE color after she said no. Wow, come to think of it we were pretty young to be messing with our hair color. It's a suprise that we never got pink or bright orange hair. ;-)

Stella said...

Angela,

LOL, I know! I haven't had my hair my natural color since we started dying it...was it 7th grade or 8th?

Post a Comment