Monday, April 7, 2008

The good wife

Jeff decided to host an unofficial work party at our house next weekend. I'm looking forward to it because I want to be able to put faces with names. I've already met his admin and she is a sweetheart but there are a lot of people that I haven't met. Or I guess I met them last year at Jeffs unofficial official work bbq, but I'm terrible with names and I was busy chasing the kids.

What I am not looking forward to is getting ready for the party. By myself. With a 4 foot laundry monster. And dirty baseboards. And the kids constantly making messes. And Kennen peeing on everything in the bathrooms except for the actual toilet bowl. Jeff said that people might want a tour and that I need to clean out our closet. Ha ha! I'm laughing! He's funny, no? Would you ever try and peek into your co-worker/boss's closet? I dont think so. He also requested that I clean up the guest room. It has become the dumping ground for random shit. And the kids pulled the christmas decorations back out the the closet in there. And there is a baby swing in there (let me know if the baby shower gods don't bring you one Kempy...it has your name on it!)

On top of his demands, I personally think that I should go around the house with a bucket of touch up paint just to clean up all the nasty kid finger prints. Damn you flat paint! Oh, and I need to week the back garden and train my wild flowering vines up a trellis. And power wash the back pation. And buy a new patio set because right now we are slumming it with camp chairs.

We have our neighbors over a lot so I'm not worried about the food because that part has become second nature. But I can relax with my neighbors because they still love me if I don't do my dishes or wash my floor. Well, they pretend to still love me anyway.

One day down and I have done nothing. Nada. you want to know why? I am a huge procrastinator. My only inspiration is procrastination. I ike the stress of meeting a deadline. Or something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

There's nothing like a party to get your house in order. I hate/love the stress but I really love that I basically have free reigns on purchasing new items that "we just need"..ie new patio furniture or new throw pillows, etc, etc...have fun this week and enjoy the party. Are kids attending or is just for grown ups? :)

~Penny~ said...

Hmmm...That is tough. All I can say, just for saving your sanity, throw/give away all the things you don't need and throw the rest in the closet and child proof it. Not one co-worker will look in your closet! Jeff is funny.

Party's can be so stressful. Cakes and I had our first party together for X-mas. It was stressful because my apartment was a mess AND it was the first time meeting of the friends. Anyway, as time winds down open up a bottle of wine and let the stress fall away.

One thing that really helped me was that my close friends and his close friends did the food. They just bought appetizers and such. We got a fifty dollar spread of cold cuts and cases and cases of beer and wine. Plus everyone brought drinks. We wound up with 15 extra bottles of white and 10 extra bottles of red!

We are still drinking them :)

Sloane said...

I heart giving parties! So fun. I would totally go the Penny route. In fact, I have gone the Penny route and hidden all of my shit in a closet or something, and get everyone liquored up; they'll have a blast.

Post a Comment