Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Going to AZ

:(

My mom called me last night and told me that my grandpa died.

My heart is broken.

He walked me down the aisle when I got married. When the minister asked 'Who gives this woman to this man," my grandpa answered in his thick Polish accent, "I do."

He fed me kielbasa and rye bread when I went to their house.

He called me Stacia (pronounced Stah-sha...not Stay-sha) instead of Stella as a pet name because I was named after his mother.

He always made Jeff drink a Rolling Rock beer whenever we visited. He wouldn't take no for an answer.

Whenever I was there, he would have me program phone numbers into his cell phone for him.

He would say all kinds of non-politically correct things in only the way a very old man would. "Those Mexicans are clannish! When I moved to America from Poland, I learned English! We spoke Polish at home but English out of the home. We didn't expect America to learn Polish! If that's what I wanted, then I would have moved back to Poland!" Touche' grandpa.

I am flying out in the morning. Jeff is taking a few days off work to play Mr. Mom.

Note to self...buy waterproof mascara.

6 comments:

~Penny~ said...

I am so sorry for your lost. Your gramp sounds amazing.

Lots of *hugs* and my thoughts are with you and your family.

tara said...

I am sorry for your loss. If there's anything we can do here on RFL ,let me know.
be safe!

Keikicakes said...

Let Mr. Mom know that we are available for child care if needed.

Hang in there....

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this hard time.

Wish your trip to AZ was not for something like this. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Oh honey I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. He sounds like such an amazing man and thankfully you have such wonderful memories of him. It's unfortunate your long-awaited trip to Arizona has fallen under such sad circumstances, but I do hope you can enjoy the time you do get to spend there, and I'm sure will get to see lots of family. I heart you.

Sloane said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. Hugs from NYC.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. I don't think i ever got to meet him. How was your trip to AZ - did you finally get to meet your niece?
Before i forget...Happy Aniversary!!!

Post a Comment