Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Doesn't anything stay the same?

I have sad news. Well, sad to me...sad to the people of Mesa, AZ...sad to Sara.

Matta's on Main street in Mesa closed this past weekend. I swear it's the best Mexican food on the planet. Or at least the best that this girl has ever tasted. When I was there this weekend, my bestest friend Tanya made it a point to take me there to say goodbye to an amazing green chile pork chimichanga that goes by the name of 'Sandy's Special'. I have been going to Matta's for about 20 years and I think I have gotten the sandy's special every.single.time. It's that fucking good. I raved about it so much that I convinced 3 other people at the table to try it also. Cuz I'm cool like that. When I asked Tony what he thought of it he said, "It's bomb."

Hellz yeah it's bomb! There is this one waitress that I remember, and those of you that have been to Matta's anytime in the last 18 years quite possible had her as your waitress too. She's polish and has the same thick accent that my grandparents have. I remember beign a little kid eating there with my Mom and my brother. One time I was crying and she came up to the table and said, "Is your brother being mean to you?" I tearfully nodded my head and said, "Yes he is!" Then my exasperated brother hollered, "No I'm not being mean to her!" Okay maybe he wasn't being mean to me that particular moment but I'm thinking that she also has an older brother and how they can be, ha ha! And I of course didn't waste an opprotunity to get a little sympathy.

The good news is that Matta's grill on Higley and Brown (aka a stones throw from my moms house) is still open so I can still get my fix there. I also checked out their website and you can buy their hot sauce by the case! If you ever want to buy me a present, that would be a good one! There are also whispers of them opening a new restaurant at Tempe town lake. That would be bomb.

Here are me and my friends with my favorite waitress who has worked there for 18 years!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My brother sent me the news article about this. I cannot believe they are closing!

I'm so sad. For my birthday a year ago, my mom sent me 6 bean burros from Mattas. That's all I wanted. The price had gone up then she had to pay to overnight them packed in dry ice. My six burritos cost her over 100 bucks. LOL. I froze them and made them last. I had morning sickness and they were as good coming up as they were going down. Mmmmmmm

ANYHOW, is the little Mexican lady still there with the big dimple in her cheek? She has also been there -f-o-r-e-v-e-r- LOVED her. She was always smiling.

I'm glad you're back. If I have to be in this damn forsaken state, you have to be here too. DON'T GO BACK TO ARIZONA WITHOUT ME...

Post a Comment