Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Do you hear that?

Ahhhh. It's silence. No kids screaming with delight because of horsey back rides from grandma and grandpa. No stories of grandma's 3rd cousin's twice removed husbands best friends wifes bunion surgery.

No more *gentle* reminders from the in laws like, "Did you pack suncreen? I have sunscreen. It's spf 50. What is yours? 30? Oh....well I have spf 50 in that you can use so the kids don't get a sunburn." And then there was the, "I don't know why you just tucked in Kennen (mind you this was 9:30 at night on the day we flew home from Orlando), he was just jumping around having fun...he's definitely not tired." Rawwwwrrrrrrr-growllllll-grrrrrrrr-teeth gnashing was my response to that one. Yessiree I had enough.

Okay now I'm just being mean. I have learned to let my in laws love me in the way that they know how...which is kind of smothery. But day 7, 8 and 9 of their visit was more like I felt suffocated.

I was raised by a single Mom that taught me how to be independant and treated me like I was capable and brilliant. I have my very large ego to thank for the way my Mom raised me. It does have its downsides though. My Mom is very hands off. It is how I prefer things, but it does have its drawbacks...majorly annoying drawbacks:

"Fly away...be free little soul...no I don't want to babysit your kids...but you can stay at my house if you visit...but we like to go to bed at 8:30pm so keep the kids quiet...and don't let them touch my china teacups...And no don't expect to have anything in the house you can feed your kids...No not even milk...they can drink tap water like you did."

I think that my in laws were ready to go home too. Kennen was being a super brat with the last week of overindulgence. There was one night after dinner that we were all exasperated with Kennen because he wouldn't get into his carseat. Then Papa pulled out the big guns and said, "Get into your carseat before I beat your ass." Jeff and I laughed from the front seat and Jeff called him out on it and Papa said, "Did I really say that?" No Papa...you just thought it out loud.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Wowza I would lose my mind. When the in laws visit here we get one of each, grandma wants to over indulge and spoil and tell me how to run the show and grandpa is a crabby persnickety grouch that thinks that I need parenting advice and wants the kids silent in their own home.

Weekends Off said...

I live with the fear of saying what I'm thinking out loud just about every single day I'm at work LOL! How funny!

Anonymous said...

Isn't family so much fun??? hahaha

Anonymous said...

Yeah my in-laws are insane... One is the biggest whiner I've ever met. She's about 100lbs overweight, constantly complains about her back/knee/whatever yet never does anything about it. And then she plans trips to places where you have to walk all over the place. She wanted to take the kids to Kings Island and I was like "there's no way you could pay me to go there with her... it'd be {step, step, step} Oh I gotta rest... {step, step, step} Can we slow down???"

The other isn't as bad... but just a bit overbearing... The only good thing is he takes us on vacations... the only bad thing is he comes on the vacations too...

Of course my parents aren't any prize winners either. They live in Florida (I'm in Indiana) and will fly up here to go to my sister's house or whatever... They'll call when they arrive and want to know if we want to get together for a couple of hours... We invite them over to our house... but noooooo... It's like our house has the plague or something. I think they've spent a total of 8 hours in our house since we moved in about 8 years ago.

**Liz** said...

I don't have a mother in law from hell, I get the even better more fun Grandmother in law from HELL!!

Keikicakes said...

I love what papa said and he pretended that he didn't said it! Ha ha ha!

In-laws....Don't you love their passive agressive words of love! I have to say...my parents are like your in-laws....smothering! g's mom...very independant. So...G totally understands how you feel...he is not use to the "in your business" and passive aggresive crap.

Just think....at least they don't visit you twice a year and stay for two months with you! Things could be worse...you could be us!

Anonymous said...

I actually have great inlaws, it's my parents that get to us...like my dad working in construction, is laid off more than he works (for christ's sake he's almost 60) and tells us how the hubby needs to get into the same field....or my absolute fave...not even 2 weeks after I had my baby (she's gonna be 4months on the 14th) my mom tells me I need to do abdominal exercises....I wanted to scream,'Are you effing kidding me?!!? Get out of my house!!!', but what I really said was,'Mom, I just had her not even two weeks ago, of course I'm still gonna have some pooch...what do you want for lunch?' UGH....lol

KBear said...

if you research it, apparently there really is no difference between spf 50 and spf 30..

i had 50 on my honeymoon, and i still had to apply every 30 minutes so i wouldn't burn.....

Anonymous said...

While you're talking about the parents and in-laws from hell; just remember that we'll soon be on the other end of the spectrum, the butt of parents or in-laws from hell stories.

Post a Comment