Tuesday, July 22, 2008

I'm a liar...

Jeff has this totally annoying habit of delegating tasks to me. This stay at home Mom gig is interesting. There is a shift in power that would make the bra burners riot. He makes all the money, and I raise the babies. But I also do all of the cleaning. And cooking. And laundry. And paying bills. To be fair, Jeff is not a caveman that gives me shit for anything. But when he comes home and I have, for example, forgotten to buy him diet soda...his face falls subtly. I don't want him to think he is neglected or the last priority on my list. I just love him so much and I want him to feel it.

Today he asked me nonchalantly if I was going to clean the kitchen and the living room.

"Sure, no problem!"

Instead I hung out with friends and at 5:00pm Jeff called and said he had the day from hell. I looked around at my dirrrrrty house and thought about my fun day with friends and I felt guilty as hell. He asked me, "Did you clean today?"

"Of course!" I lied. I had to! I know if I said "nope" then his blood pressure would go up that much more. Plus my lie was actually holding me accountable...right?

"Baby! Thank you. You rock."

"I know." oh shit!

I transformed into a magical housewife fairy and in 45 minutes I transformed my dirty hovel into a shining palace. I made sure the kids were dressed (they start stripping off their clothes as soon as they get home. I live in a naked house) and I even brushed my hair. I had to draw the line at putting on lipstick though.

I'm not that pathetic. Yet.

10 comments:

Angela said...

I think Jeff and I are a lot alike with some of the stories you tell. I am glad you got your house cleaned. I bet it feels good to be the "good little wifey" and still get to play all day. ;-)

Jadeny said...

Even if you did it at the last minute, it still got done and seeing as he will never be any the wiser, your golden!

Mrstx said...

Angela-I think you are very right actually. You and Jeff do remind me of each other. He is also a Sagittarius just like you!

Jadeny-Plus it makes more sense to clean right before he gets home because the kids usually start trashing the house again as soon as I'm done cleaning. For example...I swept yesterday and this morning I woke up to popcorn all over the living room floor. Fun fun.

Unknown said...

Yay on getting it cleaned. You know that is my worst habit, ignoring the house until the EPA is ready to shut us down. I live in naked town too, but we don't even try to pretend its any different then what it is.

Anonymous said...

I do that ALL the time...

She goes out of the evening... "All I care about is A, B and C getting done..." So I screw around all evening until about 30 minutes before she's supposed to get home and scramble to do a half-ass job at A, B and C...

Hadley said...

I'm puzzling over the twitter from your MIL. Hair bands from China made out of used condoms?? That brings some gross visuals to mind, but somehow I doubt it! What an odd email to send on.

Keikicakes said...

Yeah...clean house! What good wife!

I am still in the process of cleaning mine. I figure I'll wait till the last minute cause it will be a mess in an hour!

Thanks for hanging out with us. Thanks for sewing my car seat holder thingee..it rocks! I tried to out at home and it is super duper good. THANKS! Wish I could return the $15 one I bought!

Mrstx said...

Hadley-Trust me, I am just as confused as you are.

Anonymous said...

Actually the condom/hair band thing is true...

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/hairband.asp

Hadley said...

According to the snopes page, the scary part isn't true: there were no used condoms or health risks.

Instead, *unused* condoms that failed quality control safeguards at the manufacturing plant were made into hairbands.

I'm not confused anymore, but what a bizarre thing to have spent five minutes on. I'm sure my boss would be proud. :)

Post a Comment