Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Fathers Day!

Happy fathers day to all the Dads out there! :D

Today I am going to talk about the most important Father in my life...my husband and father of my babies, Jeff.

He is kind of Dad that I never had. He is hilarious and has the kids laughing hysterically with his jokes and silly games he plays. He is so smart and every encounter the kids have with him is a learning experience. He is their first teacher. He reminds me that this part of our lives is precious and fun...not just work and responsibility. He helps me to keep my perspective at the end of a hectic day.

He is such a hard worker. Work hard, play hard. I always tell him that I am surprised that he has gone so far in his career so quickly. I married a waiter and honestly can say I didn't expect much more. I knew that he was jockeying to fill a position at a large company that he had worked summer internships at, and when he got it I figured we had made it. Our future was secure. He felt differently about it though...he was only getting started. Well now color me impressed! He is so successful thanks to his determination and a few strategic moves and I'm so glad that my kids have him as their role model. I'm so proud of him!

He is the most interesting person I have ever met and our differences make wonder what it is he likes so much about me. His spirit is wild and free and mine is cautious and broody. Together we are either volatile or passionate. Are those to words too different anyway? We are definitely not lukewarm.

It is so sweet to see how Jeff is wrapped around Kimberly's finger. When I was giving birth to Kimberly, as soon as her head was out she opened her eyes and looked directly at Jeff. For the first time in his life, he saw himself reflected in another human being. I think she filled a need for him that nobody could give to him. She became his in a way that nobody ever had been his before. It is like she saved him from being alone in this world. And she is so much like him! She is a frog catching, bug loving, smart, sassy, sensitive and assertive child. She is so confident.

A few years later we had another baby, our boy Kennen. Jeff was puffed up and proud. It's like he had fulfilled a primal desire to have a son. Somebody that he didn't have to protect, but more like somebody that he had to mold into a man. Kennen is a strong boy. Physically. Mentally he is a gentle soul. A lover, not a fighter. He has a hard time being a little boy. He cannot tell you what his intentions are and sometimes he gets things wrong. But his intentions are always good and Jeff is making sure that Kennen will be a person of integrity. He is a little harder on his son, even though he denies it. Just like I am probably a little harder on Kimberly. We are both trying to mold our kids into better versions of ourselves and sometimes that requires a little heat. Jeff says that Kennen has the purest, sweetest soul of anybody he has ever met. He says that that is something that he is always going to protect with Kennen. He says he is so perfect and he doesn't want the world to change that. He is so good.

I love this man...this father of my babies.

12 comments:

tara said...

You brought tears to my eyes. Tell Jeff happy dads day.
He is all that you wrote. ( and he has a funny sense of humor,too ):)
hope ya'll had a great dad's day!

Mrstx said...

Aww, thanks Tara! Tell your Jeff happy fathers day too!

AZ Larsens said...

That was so sweet! Loved it.

Jadeny said...

Awwwwwww.

Jadeny said...

Awwwwwww.

~Penny~ said...

I am all choked up.

There is something about Jeff that reminds me of Cakes. And I just hope that I will be as lucky as you one day:)

I hope you all had a great day.

Angela said...

That is so sweet. You two have come along way. Did you show him your post?

Weekends Off said...

Aww that is very sweet, if you didn't show him this you should!

Sloane said...

You should totally show this to Jeff. I think he would appreciate it. So cute. Your relationship is one that I want to emulate.

Mrstx said...

I actually did show him this post and it made him really happy. We were fighting like demons this weekend so I'm glad that fathers day was on Sunday. It gave me time to reflect that he is such a great person, even if he is not perfect.

KBear said...

im late, but this was sweet. i hope i get to tell my man happy father's day someday!

Anonymous said...

I am also late in responding... I just wanted to say from a girl who had a terrible dad... this means the world. It is such a blessing to have a great dad in your life. Your children are very lucky and they will be better adults because of the wonderful parents you are!

Post a Comment