Thursday, June 12, 2008

The best things in life are free.

The best things in life are free. A gorgeous sunset. Great sex, that is free (usually). Giving your kids a happy childhood, well that can be free too!

I was talking to my father in law the other day and he asked me if I am going to put the kids into any activities this summer. I told him, "Well, maybe I dunno." Then he talked about how sometimes kids get over scheduled with gymnastics, swim team, piano, etc and that can be a bad thing. I laughed and told him not to worry about that...I can't afford to over schedule my kids!

Despite money being tight, we are going to have fun this summer. FUN! Even if it exhausts me, at the end of every day I want my kids to go to sleep with happy memories dancing in their little minds. Since I have recovered from my salmonella poisoning (not officially diagnosed but I ate tomatoes from Taco Bell and what else gives you the shits for 9 days?) we have been having a grand ole' time around here. I am hitting up every free activity I can think of. Today it was the public library.

For my son not being able to talk very well, he sure is loud! The problem is that he thinks he's Ben Ten...or at least the different creatures Ben Ten transforms in to. And they all growl or hiss and try to attack my leg.

I kept telling him, "Shhhhhhhhhhh!" and in response he told me, " I CAN'T MOMMY! I GO PEE NOW. I GO HOME NOW. PLEASE MOMMY? PLEASE!"

"SHHHHH!"

We made it out of there with only a minor disruption to the quiet enjoyment of the masses. Now the kids are reading quietly and feel like they had a special day.

5 comments:

~Penny~ said...

I went to day camp every year. It was in the park and we did awesome activities everyday.

When I was old enough, I went to sleep away camp.

Summers were the best and I think camps are a good thing. Your babies are too young for them (I think) but maybe for the future when you are a working women again ;)

PCS said...

BF's nephews are just like that! Tehy love Ben Ten... It's so sweet.

PCS said...

They!!!!

Anonymous said...

It makes me sad to think that I work during the day and I don't get to do these fun things with my kids during the summer. Luckily, my sitter takes them to all the fun free stuff so they get to experience something but I want it to be with me!

Weekends Off said...

Free fun is the best fun! I remember camping in the backyard, running through sprinklers, catching lightning bugs in jars and all sorts of fun things we did. Mom was a single parent without a dime to spare so everything had to be free or we didn't participate.

Post a Comment