Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Diplomat

Last weekend at around this time, I was with the kids at NASA enjoying some 'space dots' ice cream. When we were in line, I told the kids the flavors and Kimberly chose 'rainbow dots'. I told her that it was rainbow sherbert and that it wasn't as tasty as real ice cream. She insisted on rainbow sherbert, I'm sure becuse it was the only flavor with the word 'rainbow' in it, and for Kennen I chose banana split space dots. The kids dug in and started eating. Kimberly ate some of hers and her face fell a little.

"It's kind of sour. But I like it...but it's sour." Then she reached across the table with her spoon and helped herself to a bite of Kennens banana split ice cream. Her face lit up and she said, "ohhhhhh, that's yummy!"

The kids kept eating but Kim was watching Kennen as he quickly and efficiently spooned his Space Dots into his mouth. She picked at hers for another minute or so in stony silence. All of the sudden, it was like a light bulb went off in her head.

"Kennen, do you want to taste mine? It's good!"

"No..." he said, as he continued to eat quickly.

"Really Buddy? You should try them. They are really good! Look at all the colors in mine! I will share with you." And with that, she pushed her bowl of ice cream across the table.

Kennen immediately dug in to her bowl while she said, "Mmmmmmmmmm, isn't mine good?" Kennen nodded.

Then ever so slowly, she stuck her spoon in Kennens ice cream and pulled it closer to her. Her eyes darted nervously to me to see if she was going to get in trouble for her trick. She took a few bites and with a triumphant smile she said, "I'm sharing Mommy!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh the sharing and how it makes your heads hurt. My daughter is forever "sharing" her brothers food. I told her last week that when she eats all his nuggets that means he doesn't get any and at least there was some guilt. She gave him her fries, but then had to share those when she finished all his nuggets too.

Post a Comment