Friday, February 29, 2008

This much I know is true.

In my 5 short years of motherhood, I have learned that there are some hot topics that should never be debated. These topics are as follows

drug free birth/epidural

breastfeeding/formula fed

stay at home/work out of the home

attachment parenting/cry it out, sleep in crib, sit in a stroller

All of these 'issues' are fervently defended from both sides...just log on to any Mommy message board and you will hear from a bunch of catty bitches that have nothing more to think about since becoming a stay at home mom. I actually used to be one of those catty bitches. Then I had my second child and I realized that Motherhood is more about what works for your family and for your sanity and for your survival during these tender years. Oh, and I've learned to never say never.

Another debatable issue is carseats. I absolutely agree that kids should be in a 5 point harness until 65 lbs. That is the safest choice, even though the law is a 5 point harness until 40 lbs. But I have a car, and when it came time to shell out money for a convertible carseat (rear facing until the kid is 1, then use it forward facing until their reach 40 to 65 lbs depending on the seat you choose.) the carseat that would last up to 65 lbs was too large to fit in my sedan rear facing...so chose the Roundabout that holds kids up to 40 lbs. Well now I have a child that is 2 that weighs 44 lbs. Yes that is the same weight at my 5 year old.
I went to target today to weigh my options. I peeked at the beloved Britax Marathon that went up to a bajillion lbs and that cost a bajillion dollars. Then I looked at the simple Graco booster seat that was $40.


Two other ladies and I were all looking for carseats for kids that were the same size as Kennen. Me and a grandmother were leaning toward buying the same booster seat when a fourth woman happened to pass by us. She stopped in her tracks and loudly told us that what we were choosing was just cheap plastic blah blah blah. I told her that I would love a Marathon, but I didn't want to pay $300+ for it. Then she stepped up onto her soapbox and really got angry with me. I didn't say anything else except for smiling and saying, "You really are absolutely right." And then I told the 2 ladies I was shopping next to that they should listen to her because that was the safest route. Then I put my $40 booster seat into my shopping cart next to a very excited little boy. Then the Grandmother put a booster seat in her cart. I smiled and said 'Thank you,' to the carseat nazi and she just sighed, looked at Kennen and shook her head.

Can I just say that I fucking hate judgmental people? What is with the fucking Mommy wars? I'm not thrilled about taking my kid out of the 5 point harness but I dont deserve to feel like I am throwing him into a snake pit. She had her kids with her and they ranged in ages 8 months to 10 years old. I didn't give my opinion on her quality of 'homeschooling' aka shopping at Target and giving unsolicited advice.

I am mostly frustrated at myself because I used to work at a USA Baby part time when Kim was born and I was trained to be a the car seat nazi. I was the one using scare tactics to get parents to buy Britax. I believed in the product. Despite all that, somehow I've come to think that a booster is perfectly acceptable for 40+ lb kids.

Now I feel like I need to return it. I dont know what to do. Anybody want to weigh in?

Here is a picture of the devil chair, The Graco TurboBooster:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, if they were not SAFE, they wouldn't be on the market. Period. If they had problems, they'd be recalled. So far, so good.

To hell with that lady. She thinks she's better because of whatever reason, but she is lacking something at home.

Tell her to go to adamandeve.com and buy a big dildo and sit and spin.

Mrstx said...

Sara, I have a very important message for you...

I FRIGGIN LOVE YOU! Sit and spin...lmao!

~Penny~ said...

I agree with Sarah. It wouldn't be on the market. Anyway, I don't know much but it LOOKS safe ;)

Unknown said...

I have to slightly disagree there are tons of child products on the market that aren't 100% as safe. However unless you are willing to wrap your snowflake in bubble wrap until they are 18 you have to eventually make that choice.

I put my little girl in the same booster at about 2 1/2 because her giraffe like body was too freakishly long for any 5 point harness I found. She has been safely in it since with a few bumps along the road. Mostly involving my retardation. Remember child safety locks are there for a reason LOL.

Anyways before I write an entire novel I hate parent Nazi's and I fear for the adults their children will someday be. Can't you see them still drinking watered down juice from a sippy cup while riding in the back of their mom's van at 45 lmao

Anonymous said...

Sara is hilarious - love it! Don't let anyone tell you what is best for you & your family. It's always nice when someone will recommend or disagree with an item but to become aggressive and upset about it is another thing! I'm glad to be out of the carseat stage! I realized a long time ago to stay far away from even the slightest hint of those nazi parents - we have enough to deal with being a parent without someone else telling us how wrong we are! Oh, back on subject, all the carseats are going to be fine - just pick one that suits your child's size and go for it!

Anonymous said...

Next time you bump into that lady, tell her you have a friend in Houston who has to duct tape her 3 year old in his "Britax Boulevard" carseat because he figured out how to unsnap the freaking thing and ask her how safe is a carseat that opens so easily that a 3 year old can do it. Then, reiterate the sit and spin policy.

Mrstx said...

Sara-

Kennen was unbuckling himself from his Britax Roundabout too! That is another thing that is worrying me. I've only gone on one short trip to the store and he hasn't tried to get out of the booster yet but I am still worried. Right now he is just happy to be in a 'big boy carseat' but when I novelty wears off, I hope he doesn't try to get out of the carseat.

p.s. You are pretty smart with the ducttape! :D

Unknown said...

Stella Hannah tried to get out of hers a few times until she learned that the "I will pull this car over and beat you" threat wasn't so much of a threat.

Anonymous said...

I have this same exact seat for Julianna and Zachary (my 40lb 5-yr olds). The best part is they can buckle themselves now and I don't have to climb into the back of the van to do it for them. I guess our kids may not be as "safe" as the Britex kids, but they're safer than the kids sitting in their parent's laps in contries without child restraint laws...

AZ Larsens said...

Once again, coming in late to this topic, but my 2 yr. old was also over 40 lbs. (he's 3 now) and I got a Graco booster too. Debated the more expensive ones but no way to afford one. And you know what? We all managed to somehow survive without boosters and airbags, etc. I hate judgmental parents, I wouldn't have been as nice as you were.

Post a Comment