Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My baby is 3!

My sweet boy is 3 today. I feel like my heart is in a vice. Ugh that boy does something to me, I tell you. His party is going to be on Friday so today we are keeping it low key. Kimberly could never grasp that yes, today is her birthday but the big party will be on a weekend. This means that for the last 2 years, I have had a sullen and disappointed little girl on her actualy birthday. I'm not knocking my child, don't get me wrong. Her strength and her hunger to have the best and be the best will get her far in this world. She is so much like her Dad and I can see her being successful like him too.

Kennen has a different outlook though. Anything he gets he appreciates. This morning when he came downstairs, Kimberly and I were waiting to show him the gift and the cake sitting on the table. He had a huge smile on his face and pointed to his little chest and said, 'Me? For me Mommy?'

Kim and I sang to him and cheered him on while he blew out his candles. He opened his present, which was a set of walkie talkies in the shape of Spiderman. As I was struggling to get the two Spideys out of the grip of plastic, tape, and twist ties Kimberly said, 'Cool, we can share. Kennen can have the first one and then the other one will be for me.' Then Kennen said, 'yeah, You Kimmy then the other one for ME!'

Kim asked why he wanted her to hold the first one and I said because he is a good boy and likes to share. Kennen nodded and smiled. What a little honey.

After all the unwrapping and unscrewing of Spiderman's rear end to put the batteries in, I realized that I needed AAA's. I have about 50 AA's and one AAA battery. Damnit. Why do they even make AAA's anymore? I told the kids we had to go buy batteries and Kennen said, "Put Spidermans pants back on Mommy." Kimberly threw back her head and whined, "How are we even going to PLAY with them?" I sent her to her room.

No whining before Mommy has her coffee. And no being ungrateful on your baby brothers birthday.

5 comments:

Genevieve said...

Aww what a precious little thing. Very cute pics too. That girl of yours will be a heartbreaker no doubt :)

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing how greedy big sisters can be even in the face of their little brother generosity. I think Hannah sees kindness as a weakness then devours the kind person like a wounded gazelle

Mrstx said...

omg Audra! You hit the nail on the head. I always see Kim thinking, scheming and cajoling her brother into giving her everything. Oh well. I guess it's just getting used to being a good husband...'yes dear'.

rage said...

SO adorable!

Angela said...

Must be an oldest child thing. I think Kennen sounds like you, you always appreciated things when we were growing up.

Post a Comment