Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ugh...they got me!

I watched Jon and Kate plus 8 last night and I friggin cried! Ugh, they got me!

If you haven't heard, they are filing for divorce. It really makes me so sad for them...for their kids...but mostly for them. I was a child of divorce and I have navigated through this world okay despite not having the best launching pad. The kids seem pretty sturdy. I think they will be okay.

I have thought for years that Kate is just a raging bitch. I've always thought that she better start being nice to her husband before he finds someone else that will respect him. I'm not saying that I am a pious quiet little wife. I'm not. But I let my husband be. I let him speak. I let him parent in his rougher 'Daddy' style. I look away when he drinks out of the milk carton. I give him the remote control...plus a million other subtle things that show him respect. I don't want to emasculate the man I love until he is another helpless baby that I have to parent.

She seems like she is such a control freak and she wanted to brow beat him until he did what he was told. I don't think she realized the power a woman has in submission. For years and years he took her abuse and now he has completely checked out. He rebelled and found a young 'lady friend' that probably made him feel really good about himself. Like Miranda said in a Sex and the City episode..."Nobody wants to fuck Mean Mommy."

He's not faultless either. He didn't fight for fair treatment, kindness and respect. And now he's not fighting for his marriage. He says he's all about the kids, but it is true that the biggest gift a father can give to his children is to love their mother. He has that multiplied by 8! Does he really hate Kate more than 8 times the love you feel for a child? I don't think he does.

The closing scene of the show was when Jon and Kate were loading the kids into the super Van. They were holding umbrellas and passing the kids to one another to keep them out of the rain. Then Kate opened her door and started stepping up into the Van and Jon came up behind her and stood on his tip toes to hold his umbrella over her head. That small act of chivalry is what made me cry. Because he was still going out of his way with the little sweet things he did...and she still didn't notice.

6 comments:

~Penny~ said...

I noticed that too!!!!

I agree 100% with what you said.

Some women really do not know the power of submission.....

Keikicakes said...

love what you wrote. I teared up a few times too...one being when he held the umbrella for her and she didn't even "thank him' or notice. It was a very sweet moment but one I'm sure she didn't even care about.

I like how you said that the best gift a father can give his kids is to love his mother. so true.

Anonymous said...

It made me sad too!!!
Melissa :(

Jadeny said...

OMG I totally agree!! I want to smack her for being so mean and for now playing the victim. Give me a break. She is still blaming him!! Open your eyes lady. Phew. now that I got that out of my system lol.

I cried too. A lot. 20 years aftr my parents split and it still hits too close to home for me.

Unknown said...

Yes yes yes. I agree. Especially the umbrella thing. Does she realize what she has done? Through the entire thing I kept thinking about those 8 little faces when they are told that Mommy and Daddy wont live together anymore. It sucks. I think Kate is the biggest shrew on the planet but I am hoping like hell that they somehow work through this.

Dave and I have been together 10 years and I honestly don't think we have been together long enough to consider divorce lol. Maybe that is the difference when there is love and respect in the marriage

Unknown said...

Ok, so I don't watch the show so I may not be justified in this but....don't you think that if you had 8 kids all relatively close in age that you'd be just a tad controlling? I mean, I've heard over and over again that she's a bitch and I'm not saying that it's okay for her to act like that.....however, you know it had to come from the fact that she's gotta get them dressed, fed, bathed and in bed at the times. She may have taken it overboard but I believe that she had no choice than to become somewhat controlling in order to keep sanity in her house.

Just my 2 cents

Post a Comment