Monday, June 29, 2009

billz billz billz

Does anyone know how much a vaginal birth at a hospital costs before insurance? I know that there are a lot of factors like how much the facility wants to charge vs what the ins. company will allow them to charge and lots of other confusion. I am looking for a ballpark figure. Jeff and I had $2500 in our health savings account, but we have burned through that at lightening speed. We only have $675 left to cover our hospital fees! Eep! I will owe 20% of whatever the hospital charges so I'm thinking out of pocket will be $2000-$3000. Basically I don't have enough money. Damn.

We knew we were going to have a baby this year...but I didn't count on myself getting really sick on top of the cost of the baby. I'm not even diagnosed yet because I didn't want to risk the health of the baby by doing extensive tests...but just treating my symptoms has been expensive. I either have Ulcerative Colitis or Crones disease. Or colon cancer. Probably not the last one but I really don't know. So on top of the cost of the babys delivery I still need more diagnostic testing done. I am praying that this is just an autoimmune intestinal problem that showed its ugly head because of my hormone fluctuations. Who knows. Maybe I will magically get better once the baby is born since I got sick right at 5 weeks. And by sick...well it involves my ass but I will keep the gorey details to myself. :D

The good news is that Griffin is growing perfectly. The bad news is that by the end of the year we are going to be drowning in medical bills.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have it at home with a midwife...

Win for everyone!

Mrstx said...

Homebirths w/a midwife still run $2000! But if I were to accidentally deliver at home by myself I wouldn't go to the hospital! I would save my money for botox! :D

~ Sara Ann said...

Ask the hospital what their charge is for a cash-paying patient. When I had Lourdes, we just paid cash and it was WAY less than if we went through insurance then had to pay the difference/deductible/etc. It's worth a try at least to see if there will be savings for you.

I have been wondering how you were doing health wise. I know we don't talk anymore, but I'm still praying for you and wishing you only the best.

~Penny~ said...

Wow...I hope that your stomach is better. And I had no IDEA that births cost that much??!!!

rage said...

When Temper and his now ex-wife had their second kid, he had to sell a whole bunch of prized possessions to pay for the hospital bills because his kid was a high-risk pregnancy. Eeep!

I say go for a home delivery if you can.

I am curious to hear more about what your diagnosis is once that is determined for sure and hope yo get better soon!

MommyStamper said...

So...I want to say when I had big boy, they sent us a bill for 10 -15,000 that the Man freaked out about. I remember because it wasn't the correct hospital, but H had said it didn't matter, it was an emergency and insurance would cover it. Then he freaked out on me and I got really upset. Of course I had a newborn and was emotional anyway. But, luckily insurance did cover it. So long story short...if I remember correctly that is what the bill was:(

AZ Larsens said...

Home birth? Will there be an epidural? lol

I love my HMO. I paid $200. Total. All dr. visits for the whole pregnancy, all tests, the whole hospital stay, dr. bill, anesthesiologist...

I would do what Sara suggested, call and ask what a cash paying delivery is. Worth a try!

tara said...

I paid $10. for Chance.

Post a Comment