Thursday, June 4, 2009

Last day of school and swimming lessons!

Today is Kimberly's last day of first grade! This year has absolutely flown by. It is exciting that today is the last day of school because it is another milestone that needs to be reached for me to be that much closer to delivering Griffin. Here is my mental timeline:

Jeff's sister needs to have her baby...CHECK!

Kimberly needs to finish first grade...CHECK!

My brothers wife needs to have her baby in July

Then it is my turn in August!

Baby Griffin is growing a lot and has gotten really strong. He is finally starting to kick me hard enough for it to be a little painful. I can tell I have another little muscly man child in there.

Speaking of Man child...Kennen is taking swim lessons. The place I go to is awesome! You need to go every day for 30 minutes for an entire 2 weeks. It sucks because I have to actually drive out of my little suburban bubble and I am wasting a lot of gas, but this is truly the best place to go. Kimberly had taken lessons at a few different places when she was little, but it wasn't until her 2 weeks at this place that she learned to swim. They are miracle workers.

Kennen started a few days ago and we got 'Mr. Rudy' as our teacher. I was a little taken aback when they first told me it was a 'Mr.' If it was Kimberly, I might not have felt comfortable with that. In my mind i wonder why would a grown man want to have a job teacher preschoolers how to swim? Beautiful little preschoolers in swimsuits with their parents on the other side of a plate glass window. I know, gross. But I figured...I have a son so I don't have to worry about molestation. Welll......then I realized that probably for some people, little boys float their boat. Ew ew ew! Me and my Generalized Anxiety Disorder started second guessing this whole thing. Then I mentally slapped myself and told myself to snap out of it. Chill out. Take a deep breath. You will be there. Your child will be fine.

It turns out that Mr. Rudy is a coveted teacher. He is about 20 years old and is a huge man. It's like Mike Tyson is standing in the pool waiting to teach a buch of little tiny tender people how to swim. Before Mike Tyson got the tattoos all over his face that is. I walked Kennen in that first day and one little girl, who looked about 2, was crying so hard that she gave herself a bloody nose. By the looks of this man, I half expected him to start shouting, "What is your dysfunction soldier!" Seriously...Mr. Rudy looks like a badass who takes no shit. But he just held a paper towel to her nose and gently purred to her that she have nothing to be upset about and that everything is going to be okay. It was so touching. Like one of those black and white pics where big strong man hands are holding a newborn baby. Then I got kind of choked up at his his tenderness and had to run out of there before I started crying...damn hormones!

I sat down in the parents area to watch. Each teacher only has 4 students and there are about 10-20 teachers in the pool. Each 'class' sits on a little built in pool love seat and the instructor takes them one at a time to practice something new. The first time He took Kennens hand and pulled him under water, he gently dunken him as he walked backwards to the center of the pool. When Kennen's head came back out of the water he started sputtering and screaming and with his 50lbs of muscle, he managed to get Mr. Rudy in a head lock and start climbing up this man. I swear his feel were up on Mr. Rudy's shoulders and he was trying to perch himself up onto his head. Thank goodness Kennen has a big strong man teacher. Mr. R gently disentangled himself and pulled Kennen down to his eye level and I saw him firmly mouth, "STOP" to Kennen. Immediately Kennen was mesmerized and relaxed and then carried on with his lesson. He is the perfect teacher for my freakishly strong son. Kennen loves him and looks forward to lessons every day...damn, in fact I have 10 minutes to get dressed and get out the door for todays lesson. Peace out peeps.

No comments:

Post a Comment