Monday, March 23, 2009

Out of town visitors

My in laws visited me and the family this week. Kennen turned 4 on Tuesday and his party was on Saturday so it was a fun filled week of cake, presents and more presents. It was a really great trip and it was nice to be able to sleep in and read 700 pages into my book of the moment, "The Pillars of the Earth."

While they were here though, my MIL sort of tip toed around the question of when a good time would be to come and visit after baby #3 is born. My Mom is coming out for a week to 10 days and we are hoping to schedule that time so she is here a few days before I give birth (so she can help me catch up on laundry, lol) and to spend the majority of her time here taking care of me after delivery. I shudder at the though of having anyone here other than my Mom. She has seen me give birth, seen me topless while trying to breastfeed, seen me tired and cranky and hormonal.

She is a different kind of grandma. She loves the kids, but truth be told...she loves me the most. :D She is the only person on the planet that is 100% dedicated to my needs. She is a woman after my very own heart. She likes to wake up early in the morning and drink coffee...in silence! It is not that I am particularly grumpy in the morning, but I just want to sit and stare at the wall while I wake up and she is the same way. I suppose it is just becasue she raised me. But it is more than that. We are mother and daughter...but we are kindred spirits as well. I thank God that he chose her to be my mother. Even the situations of my childhood weren't ideal (alcoholic abusive father, raised by a single mom, my dad dies, I smoked a lot of pot and moved out when I was 18 with no plans of college, yadda yadda yadda) my Mom was ideal. She is so wise and is my mentor in life.

Wow, long tangent! Anyway I wanted to share an essay with you from a girl on my baby message boards. Even though the birth of a child seems like it would be a beautiful moment to share with family...there is a dark side. A bloody hoo-ha, leaky boobed, huge hormonal shifting aspect of childbirth that a new Mom doesn't want to share. I will let the essay from Sharon1964 elaborate:

What Happens After Birth

You will be leaking out of places you don't want to leak out of. Do you really want to stand up from the couch and have your husband's grandpa and his sister's boyfriends see that not only have you bled through your pad, but the blood is now running down your leg. Do you really want to say, "honey, can you come with me to the bathroom, I am bleeding all over and I feel a huge bloodclot coming out"... in front of this gang of people? Contrast that to "mom, I need your help please, now, I'm bleeding all over!" Does your husband really understand the volume of stuff that will be coming out of you, the possibility of lemon-sized clots of blood? Not 2-dimensional lemon-sized, but huge, round, 3-dimensional lemon-sized?

H
ow many bathrooms do you have? If only one, do you REALLY want to have to make it "guest-level clean" every time you leave it? Do you really want this gang of people ogling your diaper-sized pads, peribottle, tucks pads, and all the other supplies that will be in the bathroom? Even if you have two bathrooms, that means you can't use the main bathroom, because you still have to leave it "guest-level clean" every time you use it.

Do they really plan to do something other than hold the baby, pass the baby around, and sit around expecting you guys to wait on them? Are they going to sit and stare at you? Thirty minutes after they arrive, and baby wants to breastfeed, are they going to quickly and willingly LEAVE your home so that you can breastfeed in the privacy and comfort of your space? Or are they going to hang around outside, waiting for you to be done, and knocking every so often wanting to know if they can come back in? Yeah, that's great for breastfeeding.

Or better yet, are they going to blow you off, saying "it's no big deal", and expect you to breastfeed in front of them? Even experienced moms need several weeks of practice to get good at it, so to speak, so that they can breastfeed wherever they want. Learning to breastfeed is not a time for people to ogle and stare at you.

When your breasts are engorged and painful and you want NOTHING to touch them, what then? Does your dh think it will be okay for his mother, sisters, boyfriends, and grandpa to stare at your huge naked breasts as you walk around topless?

What if your birth is smack in the middle of their trip? So what are they going to do the first few days, before baby? Are they going to sit and stare at you, waiting for the big moment? Then what? Are they going to camp out in your hospital room every day, all day? Yeah, that's great for resting. What happens when you leave the hospital and they beat you to your own home, and all you want to do is lay down in your own bed? Are they going to leave graciously, or are they going to sit in your living room, eating your food, messing up your house, and making noise, so you can't nap?

Does your DH normally allow people to invite themselves over to visit you guys without even ASKING? You guys are setting yourselves up for a lifetime of this. Then you will be blamed when you try to tell them that it is not a good time for you.

Does your DH understand ANY of these things?? Does he not understand that it is NOT about entertaining guests, but about recovery from a major medical procedure (either vaginal or c-section)? Does he not understand that you just grew another human being in your body, and will have just gone through the process of getting it out?? This is going to be an exhausting, messy, wildly hormonal time. Does he not get that??


Sharon

13 comments:

Jadeny said...

um, that essay is going to keep me from having children for at least another 5 years. I've officially been scared babyless!

Anonymous said...

I had my mother and sister in-laws come to stay when my baby was one day old. I didn't invite them in the first place and all of the things that Sharon said applied to me. When baby was a week old I snapped and had a hissy crying fit, begging the husband to get them out of the house. They resented it and I felt guilty for years; it's only now that I realise it was them in the wrong, not me.

Our relationship never recovered.

tara said...

Is there a way you can tell her that you will call her when you are up for " not blood related " visitors.
Family( the blood related kind) don't put pressure on you an dmake you feel like you can't lay around recovering and enjoying your new baby.
P.S.
When can us neighbors visit after baby is born ?

~ Sara Ann said...

you had me cracking up. i love you. must. see. belly.

~Penny~ said...

I have visitors. Period. I have the shortest tolerance. I feel your pain but I would 2 weeks? then come visit? Is that fair?

I don't know about that stuff. But I do think a visitor is different from a house guest. At least you know visitors will leave!

tonya said...

i also agree with the little story and that you need "me" time, but the part of this post that really got me is "pillars of the earth" that is the best book, finish it, it may take forever but it is sooo worth it

Genevieve said...

holy crap! LEMON SIZED?? this has put another nail in the coffin for any reproductive plans in my lifetime!

Keikicakes said...

I just noticed your new ME person on the right side....I LOVE IT!!!! LMAO!!!

**Liz** said...

Oh how I hated that damn episiotomy bottle. And the clots and all the rest. But I loved the babies that came out of it.

KBear said...

my mom's come to help me the first two weeks after I came home, and she comes down to take me to doctor's appointments. She came down every other day, since she's far away and has her chores and animals to care for.. she also told my SIL that she had to take her kids to her own mother's so that my mom was free to take care of me, so I know what you feel there:)

Pillars of the Earth. I've heard good things about that book. Let me know when you're done what you think of it:)

Unknown said...

Hair Wreckers blog accidentally got deleted here is here new address http://hairwreckerlindsey.blogspot.com/

Linds said...

Wow...that sums it up. I had a section 6 weeks ago and oh the joy! I had my FIL in the delivery room while I labored prior the section. There were times I so badly wanted him to leave b/c of the pressure down south and just wanting to pass gas. Not to mention that after 3 hours of sleep, 12 hours of labor then a section when I finally got to my room I wanted peace and quiet and then here come people wanting to hold the baby. I so badly want to tell them to get the f*&% out!!

Anonymous said...

That is SO true....I hated the damn diapers, but lord do you need them...ugh..lol..and breastfeeding, while bonding and natural, is very private to me...not that I wouldn't feed in public if need be, but when you're in your own home, you need to be alone and comfortable those first weeks...if you're comfy with your mom, that's great...if your MIL is gonna just barge in to see her grandkid, then she can wait..your mom is there to help you, not just oogle....

Post a Comment