Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Things that nightmares are made of.

What scares you? The dark? A bumpy ride in an airplane?

Want to know what scares me? When I go to the dentist and he says that he must crown my 6 year olds tooth with a SILVER crown. What the fuck? Am I living in the ghetto? Am I just uptight? Should I just embrace baby's first bling? Should I celebrate this by requesting a diamond encrusted "K" on her new grillz.


I'm going to call my local dentist Dr. Poop. You can know his true identity by removing the last two letters in his name. If you google him and go to his website, he will allay your fears. He will make you feel like going to the dentist is fun! He will make you think that even though he isn't 'in network' on your PPO that he is worth the extra money because he is up to date on technology and aesthetics. His silly smile on the 'about me' page will make you think that he is great with children. He has a choo choo train whizzing around the ceiling of his roof. When you walk into his office your kids will feel at east because 'Beauty and the Beast' is blaring on the tv in the corner of the room. There are puzzles! Toys! Smiling receptionists!

But let me tell you something. Dr. Poop is no different than Krusty the Klown. He is the angry carnie at the fair. Oh yes he is wearing brightly colored scrubs with choo choo trains on them, but he is an ASS! He tries to pretend that he likes children but I am quite sure that he is in the back room drinking whiskey sours while the sedation is kicking in on his little patients. Yes I said sedation. That is what he recommended to my perfectly cooperative 6 year old. I must pay $175 for 'kiddie cocktail'. "She wont remember anything," he tells me. It isn't even necessary to stay with her during the procedure. I can go and further my suburban mommy image and go next door for a pastry and coffee.

"What about laughing gas?" I asked. They don't do laughing gas. The children are a little too coherent on laughing gas apparently. I guess this 'pediatric dentist' just doesn't want to deal with the antics of his 'pediatric' patients.

You know what though? It is less about the snarky attitude he showed my 6 year old. It is less about the overpriced 'kiddie cocktail'. It is more about the metal crown he thinks is appropriate for my child. This is what freaks me out:


Kim only needs one piece of bling in her mouth but there is no fucking way. I found another dentist that has porcelin faced stainless steel crowns. I am having her x-rays transferred. I have heard from another neighbor that he is an ass too. At this point though, I think I will choose the ass that will keep my 6 year old from looking like....Okay I can't post a pic of a child with a silver tooth. That would make me asshole of the year. Lets just say I don't want my daughter looking like Paul Wall.

6 comments:

~Penny~ said...

Or Flava Flav.

Next thing you know she will be saying things like: "Yay, boooooooyyyyyyyyyyyy" and wearing a clock around her neck.

Not cute, not cute at all.

You made the right decision.

AZ Larsens said...

WHAT!? They don't even do metal crowns at my adult dentist anymore! Good decision, go somewhere else. And the laughing gas thing is ridiculous, they did laughing gas on my 4 yr. old and he sat perfectly still the entire time with it. Come back to Mesa and go to our ped. dentist, he's the BEST.

**Liz** said...

Ummm...my daughter currently has 2 metal crowns on her teeth. She is the same age as your daughter. She used to have 4 additional on her front teeth combined with porcelain crowns. (Those have now fallen out as she has gotten older)

I feel it was the best decision for her (as her baby teeth never came in very strong and were decaying rapidly). They don't look bad, they don't look like bling. I would rather she have her teeth protected while she is growing, then have her teeth continue to decay. Yeah it is not perfect, and I would rather she not have to have metal in her mouth, but I don't see anything wrong with it. She looks like your normal average child, and having metal crowns does not change that at all.

Weekends Off said...

The idea that the dentist would suggest you don't even have to stay is disturbing to me. I don't like that idea AT ALL. Not that it's likely something will go wrong but if there is even a
.000001% chance of anything I'll be damned if I'm going anywhere.

Follow your first mind, if it says skip the metal and skip that dentist I say do it.

Jadeny said...

I have never ever heard of crowns for kids! And metal ones at that. You totally made the right choice. Poor Kimmy already has the bows to worry about ;-)

Anonymous said...

Eh. It's not that big of a deal. I had one as a kid. You don't even really notice, especially if it's on a back tooth. But, the thing is that it's going to fall out anyway and she'll have her big teeth grow in. Then, it will all be forgotten.

Post a Comment