Friday, February 1, 2008

ducks in a row

Whew! Is it just me or were the last 3 months financial hell? With Christmas, property taxes and hoa fees, we have been living like spartans for the last few months. We made it over the hump and now it's nothing but income tax returns and raises and oh that $1200 the government is handing out this summer to boost the economy will be pretty sweet too. Now I can fucking breath again. It's really not that bad. Jeff and I have been poor and living in a hovel. At least we are broke and living in a pretty house. :D

We are paying off debt with this return but because it is more than we hoped for, this girl is in the market for a new laptop! I have been hobbling by with my 6 year old emachine, which I'm told is not even a 'real' computer. I am definitely on borrowed time. Jeff suggested a Macbook but they start at $1100 versus a Dell notebook that starts at $600 and come in pretty colors (priorities...hee hee). I only need it for blogging, editing and storing photos and reading truemomconfessions.com. And i definitely want a laptop because then my guest room (baby's room someday?) wont have to double as an office. This isn't a 'iwantanotherbaby' post, this is a laptop post...so here is my question.

What kind of laptop do you have and do you like it and why?

peace

6 comments:

tara said...

I have a Toshiba lap top. I love it.(I do like the new thin Apple laptop!)

Enjoy your refunds! :)

Anonymous said...

If you do not want to switch to Apple - we have the Dell XPS M2010. Its a little heavy, so if you are planning on taking it around, to have the kids watch movies like we were, thats one down-fall. I had one instance that required a call to customer service when the bluetooth keyboard and mouse failed reconginitoin and i had to uninstall the MS Visa upgrade. The big screen is so crisp and very crisp. There are very few probelms I have had with this machine compared to others.

Anonymous said...

I meant to say "The big screen is so crisp and very vivid". Got carried away.

Mrstx said...

I heard that the new Vista was a nightmare and was causing all types of problems. I can order a dell will XP instead of the new Vista.

Also, why are the XPS models better (and more expensive) than the Inspiron laptops?

Anonymous said...

*Avoid Vista period.* Also as others have mentioned - Dell and Toshiba are both good brands for notebooks. I would avoid anything over $700 - $1000 unless you intend to be gaming and editing multimedia.

Also, once you decide to get a notebook one other important consideration is the type of wireless access it uses and also the purchase of a wireless router. Surely you don't want to just blog while in the office ;>.

If you need any other advice let me know. Oh, and about the XPS models - they are thinner, lighter, and come with higher-end components and options as part of the basic package. Anyhow, hope that helps a little. Cheers!

Mrs. Erickson said...

Definitely go with Apple, they might be a tad bit more expensive but will save you headaches in the future.

Post a Comment