Sunday, February 10, 2008

Ka-ching!

Have you ever seen something like a company or an invention and thought, 'Why didn't I think of that?'

I was checking my email today when i ran across this article. A Houston woman created a toy rental company. Ugh, is such a simple idea and it's such a brilliant idea. You can choose 4 toys to rent for $30 a month. When you are done, you ship it back in the box it came in. Shipping is always free. She then cleans them with a clorox wipe and sends them to the next person that has requested it.

I hate toy clutter and I throw away a lot of toys. Like literally in a garbage bag because I just hate the mess and also because the sheer volume of toys that my kids receive is just nuts. Anybody that has been around kids knows that the child will play with the toy for about a week, and then discard it. Pretty soon you start to lose the pieces and then you are kicking yourself for wasting $40 on something that is yesterdays plaything. Ugh.

This kind of company would be so much work but hello? Looking online at quality toys to buy? I already do that! Wiping down the toys with a clorox wipe? I already do that too! Okay, that last sentence was a lie. The scary part is that the article said that she pays $12,000 a month into the company and that she hopes to turn a profit by the fall. Yeah...I don't have $12,000 a month to invest in a company. It does remind me though that we live in a very rich nation. A nation where people are willing to rent toys. There is money out there to be had but you just need an idea and the balls to go for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment