Monday, October 13, 2008

Accidentally on purpose.

This morning I was so late taking Kennen to preschool. Jeff was sick and up all night and I was worried enough to sit and listen to him breath for an hour after he finally fell asleep. On top of the cough from hell all week, he had his first migraine and it was pretty pitiful because he was coughing, puking, and gripping onto his head all at the same time.

I was running late but my plan was to walk Kennen into class, then go get my hair done. I had my vampire book and I was looking forward to the silence. As we were walking to his class, a little girl waved frantically at us and said, "Hi Kennen!" awwww, he has a little friend. I chit chatted with the Mom of the little girl and she asked me if I was going to the Moms group that morning. I was like, "Moms group? What Moms group?" She said it started in 15 minutes so I went!

I am so happy with the group of Moms there. We really talked about so many things and we were having a very funny and open conversation. I think I was getting a little too comfortable. When the group leader gently urged that I could pray and that she said that my husband would eventually come to know Jesus.

"Oh, that's not going to happen. He's Jewish."

"Well maybe not now, maybe not 5 years but as long as it is before his last breath, he will be saved."

blink. blink.

I got a little candid here and said, "Well, he actually thinks that Jesus is just a Golden Calf that is distracting people from the one true God."

OMGoodness that was the wrong thing to say. Not because she judged me for what I said, but because she truly looked hurt. I was pooping on her peeps. It was worse than a fart in church. It was a bitchslap in church. The conversation rolled on afterwards without a hitch and it made me love these ladies even more. I think I wanted to say something sort of awful because I am a bitch. I am not goodness and light. I just think I was testing the water to see if I would still be accepted if I didn't plaster a spacey smile on my face and say catchy Christian things like, "Love letter to Jesus" or "My sins have been washed white as snow". Nope, instead I wanted to say things like,

"I wonder if Jesus is just a golden calf and we are all blasphemous. Plus, I want to be a Christian and I feel God guiding me lately (in fact I think he led me to this Mom's group accidentally on purpose) but can I still drink a glass of wine after the kids go to bed? What about before they go to bed?"

And they liked me anyway. God found a place for a girl like me to feel comfortable enough to stay. I'm looking forward to next monday...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad you found a place you like. to be honest and I am a some what Christian I suppose, I think it was way to pushy of her to say those things. I am glad to see that she didn't take it any further.

Funny note. We decided to start going to church awhile back but since I have been so sick I haven't gone. Hannah decided to get me in front of all the mom's in her kindergarten while we were at the pumpkin patch and yell, MOMMY WHEN CAN WE GO BACK TO CHURCH? WE REALLY NEED TO GO.

I should have told them its just cause she misses her little boy toy .

Anonymous said...

Our mom's group at church does not get that religious, but it is so nice to have other people to blow off some steam with over our crazy little rollercoaster called mommyhood.
-Laura

Anonymous said...

WOW-I can't wait to see what they actually do next week :)

Watch out around CR - sometimes things aren't what they seem ;)

AZ Larsens said...

First of all, poor Jeff! Migraines suck. I've been in that exact same position many times (head holding puking)

And second of all, as a Christian myself, that was a little out of line for her to push the issue of Jeff accepting Christ. So I don't think what you said was bad at all.

Mrstx said...

Thanks ladies! I really did love the Mom's group and in the leaders defense, we were talking about the marriage series that the pastor presented over the last 7 weeks, and how praying with your spouse was a good idea. That's how the whole 'Jeff's never going to be that sort of partner' conversation came from.

At this point I'm just hoping I didn't offend her but she seemed happy when I said goodbye and she said, 'see you next week'.

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

Ok, NO. You were not being bitchy. She was being rude. I am sorry, but you do not tell someone that their husband isn't going to go to heaven. THAT is a personal opinion of hers, not fact. She can claim it all she wants, but she has no hard evidence and cannot fault your husband for his own views.

~Penny~ said...

Can I have some clarity? Is this a religious group or was religion the topic of the day?

I am not sure.

Either way, everyone is entitled to their opinion, her included. But I am glad that you said something.

Thats why you are not suppose to talk about race, religion and politics!

Mrstx said...

tracey- I suppose in hindsight it is not nice to tell someone they aren't 'saved', but she said it so innocently and without pretense that I just didn't get upset about it.

Penny- It is a bible study for moms, so religion/God are the main topics. Oh, and I agree about religion or politics. And once you have kids you will learn not to talk about breastfeeding either. The bitches really go nuts over that one! :D

Post a Comment