Saturday, November 17, 2007

The short bus

Last week I had an appointment with the organization that we use for his speech therapy. He is in the family services right now and will be until he is 3 years old. Once he is 3, he will qualify for education services at our elementary school. The woman at the center was telling me the process of signing him up and how the educational services will differ from the family based services. Then I saw as she pointed to the page. Special Education Services. You think my son needs fucking special ed?

In this last year Kennen has been in speech therapy, he has come a long way. The only sound he would make in the beginning is "UH". Seriously. When he said 'Mama' at around 20 months, it was a very happy moment in my life. Slowly, he has made progress and has lots of words now and he speaks in sentences. I'm learning also that I'm just having to remind him that he is saying things incorrectly and give him a chance to try it again. For example if he says "Ow" for 'cow' I will ask him, "Wait, is is "How" or "Cow". He will then usually correct the word with the proper consonant. But if he gets mad, I tell him not to cry and to say 'No more COW mommy'. And then he will say it. I am ninja mommy. Actually, that tip is from our speech therapist. She rocks. Kennen loves her and when she knocked on the door the other day he happily said, "More Holly!" and clapped his hands.

It is still obvious that Kennen needs speech therapy and in most other ways, he is right on track with other kids his age. Still though, we've noticed that Kennen has some delays in motor skills, and motor planning skills. We had an occupational therapist come in to take a look at him. She was so much fun, and she did a thorough shakedown of Kennen...like literally. She was pushing him while he was balancing on a ball to see if he would catch himself when he fell (he didn't). She flipped him all over and again he was just a blob. She also noticed that his balance not strong and that he compensates by propping himself with his hands when he sits. He doesn't need a lot of Occupational Therapy because he can function by himself, feeding himself, going potty and washing his hands, brushing teeth, playing, climbing etc. but that he does have low tone. And there are muscles that connect to the nerves that carry signals from his ears to his brain and if they have low tone, he very well could trouble process what he hears into what he wants to say.

Whew! That was long and boring! I want it here written down so that I can wrap my mind around all that Kennen needs to be the best boy that he can be. And to not be behind in Kindergarten. Oh, and when he goes to the elementary school to get his 'special education' when he is 3, they will pick him up in a teeny tiny bus. A short bus if you will.

Okay, pizza man just brought me some food so I'll make this snappy...

I've decided to become much more proactive in Kennens development so I bought a Yoga Kids DVD (or DDD as Kenny says) and we try to do it once a day. And here is a picture of the cat stretch...aren't we cute?

And of course here is Kimmy-girl and her mangy dog pillow:


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He will get whatever he needs, but you are doing an awesome job, Stella, and Kennen is a wonderful kid. -Laura

Anonymous said...

You and your family are truly beautiful. Your kids are the spittin' image of you and you're always so upbeat and look like you're fresh off the catwalk in New York. I'm jealous.

Yesterday at the dollar store, Landen says to me after looking at this audaciously long belt "Holy cow, mama, why would they even sell something like this? It wouldn't fit even fit a huge fat guy! It would fall off of him!" I look at him and say "Landen, bring me that belt." So he walks over and hands me this green belt and I put it around my waist and it still has about 4 inches before it would even touch, end to end. LOL... so I'm TOTALLY jealous of you and your skinny self & perfect photogenic ways.

Okay, I feel better now that I told you that.

As far as Kenny goes, SO many kids go through this type of thing. Noah still calls DVD's DDD's and says things in different ways. They're learning how to talk. Don't get too down, he'll learn as they all do.

Have they tested his hearing and done a full neurological work-up to make sure all is well in other areas? If a child is hard of hearing, they can't hear themselves pronounce the word so to them it sounds normal.

I love the picture of Kimmy laying on Hotlanta Schazmana, etc. whatever that dog's name is. LOL... I hope her fleas are all gone or lil' Kimmy is going to be one itching chickadee! It's so adorable.

I wish I had a dog like that. I'd lay on her too.... that is, until she kicked my can't-fit-the-dollar-store-belt-around-my-fat-ass-waist off of her.

~Penny~ said...

Hey Stella! Listen I woek in social services in a school and that is completely normal. Actually, it is great that they are doing therapy now so that he can be blended by time school comes.

Keep doing what you are doing and thats the best thing!

Post a Comment