Friday, October 9, 2009

Important announcement!

GRIFFIN SMILED! Oh yes, it only took him 9 flippin weeks but my boy has joy in his heart and he's not afraid to show it!

Isn't that great news? yes yes it is. I will catch it on camera soon I hope! the bad news is that he was a little late...does this mean I am going to have another developmentally delayed child to fuss over? *sigh* I hope not.

So after my unsuccessful attempt at stepping down my prednisone, my doctor wants to put me on Immunosuppressants (mercaptopurine or 6-MP if you are curious). Im skurred. My GI doc said that it was okay to take while breastfeeding, but when I ran it by baby G's pediatrician, she suggested weaning him to formula. The immunosuppressants can cause delays in growth and development and that really freaks me out. See previous paragraph. I'm not ready to switch to formula yet either, so I am going to try stepping off my prednisone once more. But this time I am taking a teensy tiny step off my dose. I sent my GI doctor an email with my new 'plan'...lets hope she doesn't yell at me.

I am wooing a new friend. There is a Mom in Kennens preschool class that has a 5 year old boy and a 7 year old girl. We have matching kids! I have been emailing her and we are going to meet at McDonalds today for a playdate. Fun, right? She seems nice...lets hope it is a successful friend connection for she and I as well as the boys.

I gained 5 pounds. Oh shit.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the smiles!! :D Just let him take his own time for now, and don't worry so much about his development!! I know you're worried about it, but I think it's a little early to be worrying about that stuff!! Enjoy the few weeks he's a baby baby and just throw a few things in there once in awhile for him to work on...tickle his toes or make silly faces, that kind of thing...I forgot how babies can get overwhelmed and upset my youngest a few times b/c I was doing too much to mak sure she wouldn't be behind...lol....just keep talking to him and playing, and he should be just fine! That's all we did with ours and we're told a lot that our girls are very well spoken and use mature words for their ages...lol...maybe we went a little overboard...? ;) :P

I hope you and your GI doctor figure out a good plan that you're comfortable with! I don't want you to be in pain, but I'm proud of you for wanting to keep nursing!! I hated transitioning to formula, but I wasn't producing enough to fill the girls' little tummies up....but don't feel like you're failing him if or when you do...you'll be doing what's best for you and Griffin by keeping yourself happy and healthy, and he'll still be getting plenty of nutrition! {{{{{HUGS}}}}}
Liz

Mrstx said...

Aww, thanks. I know, I do just need to relax and let him be a baby. I can tell that I am overstimulating him sometimes but I just want to make sure he has a good start in his development. At least if he does have issues in the future, i will know I tried to give an enriching childhood, LOL.

AZ Larsens said...

Yay! I love those first newborn smiles! My favorite thing in the world used to be to watch my babies sleep. Watching them have their little dreams, with all their different facial expressions...SO cute.
Sorry to hear about your medical problems...I know how it feels to have a medical issue affect your nursing. Had that experience with my last 2 babies. It was very emotional for me. It would be one thing if I decided to stop nursing on my own, but to have it be decided for me because of my own medical issues...well, it was very hard for me.

Anyway, he's adorable!!

~ Sara Ann said...

I had been nursing Noah for 17 months when I weaned suddenly. I got a diagnosis of thyroid cancer and they had to do a CT Scan and used some radioactive contrast and after they injected it into me, I thought to ask if it would affect my milk and they said yes and that I could not nurse anymore since they don't know exactly when the radiation part would stop passing through my milk. I was devistated and even moreso when he'd ask for "booby" and I had to say no. :(

At least if you do wean now, Griffin won't be too attached to the point he cries for it like doing it when he's say.... 17 months old.

Formulas are SO nutritious now - way more than they were in years past and even then, they were good but they're so close to breastmilk now with all the DHA and ARA and now even with the Omega-3 fatty acids for proper brain development. It's great!!!

Don't feel like you've failed him, though... that broke my heart to read that. You've succeeded in SO many ways. She who loves her wine, put it on hold so that baby could grow and develop properly while in you... and even putting off your own care so it wouldn't put him in jeapordy (with the colonoscopy)... and now, it's your turn. He will still THRIVE with formula and this way you can be on what your doctors feel is best for you to get healthy again so you can get out of pain and heal.

Hugs and prayers!!

Mrstx said...

I don't know why quitting breastfeeding is so emotional for me. I'm ready to give it up yet! I nursed Kim for 20 months, and Kennen only 9 months because he went on a nursing strike. It broke my heart when Kennen quit...I wasn't ready! I'm definitely not ready with Griffin.

My ped said that she was comfortable with no more than 40mg/day for no more than 4 months total. I've been on it for about a month now, so I have 3 months to try and wean myself off the prednisone. It's day 2 on 30mg and so far so good. I'm praying that my butt behaves!

~ Sara Ann said...

You poor thing... I'll keep you and your butt in my prayers. Really, though. I will. :) Just go SUPER slow with the weaning of the medication and you should be ok.

Post a Comment