Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Going green

In an effort to be 'green' (see how cool I am with my hip terms?) I am going to cloth diaper this kid. The unfortunate thing about this is that I doubt anyone else will attempt to change my baby's diaper. If you think about how many diapers get thrown away per child it really is pretty disgusting. Lets just say an average of 8 diapers a day for 3 years is 8760 diapers!!! Blech, I've added enough to diaper hill I think.

The last few days I have been perusing cloth diaper message boards (oh yes there is such a thing) and diapers are not what they used to be. They are really stinking (hee hee) cute! When the baby is itty bitty, I am going to get old school and use cloth prefolds and covers because they are so tiny that most fitted diapers are much to big. Yep, my baby will be rocking out baby Jesus style, like this (picture courtesy of www.greenmountaindiapers.com):
In an effort to keep myself and my furniture protected from pee and newborn explosive poop, I will cover the above Jesus style with something like this: It is cotton on the outside but the inside is plastic (PUL) and you can wipe it out and reuse it all day long without having to toss it in the washing machine. Very economical!


When the baby get a little more chub on them, then...THEN, Oh this is the exciting part! I will get to put the baby in this. It is called a pocket diaper and on the inside it has a pocket inside that you can stuff with either old prefold cloth diapers or the microfiber/hemp inserts that it comes with. You use it one time then wash it:


If I am feeling like it is a particularly fancy day, then I will use something like this:



And when I am breastfeeding for the twelfth time in one day, I will put the baby in this so I wont feel like the only cow in the room:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

we cloth diapered our last two kids... It's not nearly as bad as you might think...

My MIL didn't understand... she thought we couldn't afford disposable diapers and offered to buy them for us... Uhhh... no... we WANT to use cloth diapers...

~Penny~ said...

I am torn about this too but what happened to those other diapers that you bought?

What I am about to say, please don't think I am judging....but I would never wash out my kids shit. Screw the environment!

I am going to hell.

KBear said...

i dont think i could use them. A friend did, and she said it was awful. she had to swish them around in the toilet when they went poo or pee, then put them in a bucket/basket and did laundry once a day just on the diapers cause they smelled. and she said she couldn't hide the smell at all.

Mrstx said...

Penny-I still have my gDiapers. I think they are like smoking pot. Well, weed is the gateway drug, and my dDiapers were the gateway to cloth with me. I was thinking about stuffing them with prefolds instead of the flushable liners so I thought, 'why not just do all cloth?' I will use my little gPants too but I am going to do mostly cloth.

Kbear-I know it's gonna be pretty nasty. I guess I just have a little guilt over overpopulating the world with my 3rd kid. Plus, with my first daughter I obsessed over breastfeeding, with my son I obsessed over getting a kid to sleep through the night, so I apparently this is my new 'thing' to obsess over. Poop is gross but my own kids poop has been manageable. Even when Kennen used to smear the wall, crib and his own teeth with his shit. :D

Keikicakes said...

think you will save on having to buy bottoms for a while cause the diapers are so darn cute that you just gotta put the baby in a white tee and the cloth diaper covers!! SO CUTE!

Anonymous said...

hey Stella! we had a fundraiser for my 20th reunion and not all products were given away - would you be interested in a gDiaper starter set? Email me and I will give you the contact name :)

tara said...

you are a brave woman!

Jadeny said...

They are so cute! I really like the idea of being green with cloth, but I don't think I could have the patience to be bother with it myself. Good luck!

Weekends Off said...

I cloth diapered all 3 of my kids, they didn't have those cute little diapers then so I used what looks like the photo with the baby.

I never had a problem with smells. It did take a few times to get over swishing the poo out in the toilet but that was the only bad thing IMO. I washed every other day, stored the dirty diapers in a diaper pail designed to hold them and a borax solution.

OF course, you could always go the diaper delivery service route. That would have been a dream for me, but we were on a shoe string budget and that would have broke us!

To brag-I was really good at fitting those diapers, I managed it with only using one diaper pin too! They used to fit snug almost like the disposables.

Plus, they look so darned cute in the little rubber pants!

tracey.becker1@gmail.com said...

I loved using the diaper covers with Corinne. We used gDiapers which are a different take on the whole thing.

ANYWAY. She DID look adorable in them. Be careful: those covers are like an addiction....

Post a Comment