Monday, April 13, 2009

How to be a good Texan.

Did you know that Bluebonnets are the state flower here in Texas? Yeah and apparently they are protected and you aren't supposed to pick them. I learned this from my 6 year old when I told her to pick me a flower a few weeks ago. She picked it, gave it to me, then burst into tears. "I'm not supposed to pick bluebonnetssssssss! I will get in trouble! My teacher told me I couldn't!!!" I just patted her condescendingly and said, 'Well you are allowed to when you are with me becaue I am your Mom and I said you could." Then later my friend Patty told me that in fact, my daughter was correct. No picking Bluebonnets. Don't mess with Texas. Oops!

This weekend I convinced my husband to drive all over Texas to find fields of wildflowers. Apparently it is a Texas-y tradition to dress up the kids, pull over onto the side of the freeway and take pictures of your chitlins frolicking in the Bluebonnets. Jeff wasn't very into the whole idea at first and he didn't want to drive 1 1/2 hours northwest to find the best fields of flowers. We are in the far suburbs of Houston and we are just a few miles from 'the country'. He assumed he would satisfy my flower fix with a few pathetic scatters of wildflowers...but no dice. I kept urging him, "Lets go a little farther...just a few more miles! Look the flowers are getting thicker...lets keep going and find some really good ones!"

Eventually we got to Brenham, TX. Home of Bluebell Ice Cream and the best Bluebonnet fields in Texas hill country. We found a field and drove about 1/2 mile back and let the kids run wild. I was in sensory heaven. They flowers are such a brilliant blue and they smelled amazing. Plus the whole place was relatively bug free. I've checked yet another 'Texas' experience off my list. Along with putting huge bows on my daughter and buying a gun...I have now taken the springtime bluebonnet pics. Aren't they amazing?

This is before the $5 footlong...
...and after the $5 footlong!

It was hard to get pictures of Kennen. He kept running at top speed said, "I'm fast-quick!"
I just love this girl. That's all.
Here's my sweet boy. And look! My truck got to take bluebonnet pics too!
kisses!

What a charming little smile...

a.m.a.z.i.n.g.

8 comments:

EJ said...

GREAT PICS!!! You (and the fam) look Fabulous!!!

~Penny~ said...

Omg! You cut her hair short!! I love little girls with short hair..so cute. You really all do look so happy and healthy!

Mrstx said...

Oh yeah! Aveda was having an 'Earth Day' type event where they were giving away $10 kids cuts and $20 adult haircuts. Kim looks a little windblown in all of these pics but I will find another pic of her hair when it it brushed...it is soooo cute! It finally looks full and shiny and healthy. Seriously, it is the first time in her life that she has had hair that wasn't full of split ends from all of that delicate baby hair. Kim had been bugging me to do it for a long time but short hair on kids can go either very good, or very bad. Thank you Aveda lady for making it very good!

Angela said...

Love everything, these pictures, the new hair cut, you, the flowers...

amanda said...

They are all so good! I especially love the one where she is looking straight up into the camera! That picture is amazing!

AZ Larsens said...

This almost makes me want to move to Texas! Awesome pics, your kids are adorable.

Sloane said...

What nice pictures. You need to blow up that pic of Kimmy and hang it up. She is so beautiful. Kennen looks pretty handsome too.

PCS said...

I love your pictures! Your family is so beautiful you're looking great girl!
I wish I had a field like that around here...

Post a Comment