Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Fun morning!

This morning I got to go with Kimmy-girl to preschool and have 'Muffins with Mom'. I usually don't like this sort of thing. I hate Gymboree and toddler story time at the Library. Do I think I'm too cool to sit in a circle and sing little bunny foo foo? Yes I do. :) Don't get me wrong...I sing to my kids, read them stories, play silly games, talk to them like a shrieking fool...I just do it in the privacy of my own home. :)

I was actually really excited for Muffins with Mom. I get to check up on where I send my precious firstborn two times a week. I get to meet her friends, chit chat with her teachers, look at her art work. I was honored to be invited to peek into a part of her world that is sort of a mystery to me. When we first go there her teacher asked us to guess which picture was drawn by our kids. The kids were told to draw a pic of their Mommy and were asked a few question that were written on the bottom of the pictures. How old is Mommy? What makes mommy happy? What is Mommies favorite food? I know Kimberly's art work...her signature 'face' has a mouth that is usually a perfectly straight horizontal line. No smile...no frown. All of the pics had nice curvy smiles though so that wasn't helping me. I looked at the questions and one of them said, "What makes Mommy happy? When we don't bother her and leave her alone." Oh crap.

I looked at Kim, "is this it?"

"Nope!"

whew! I dodged that bullet. It makes me wonder what Kimberly tells her teachers about me when I'm not there.

I finally found it and I was wearing a shirt that said "Mom" across the front of it. (This is where I brag that my four year old knows how to spell and write mom with a certain degree of clarity.) It said that I was 69 years old (woo hoo! how did she know I liked that number so much?) and that I liked to eat zuchinni and broccoli and that I was happy when Kimberly kissed my smashed knee. Um...okaaaaay.

I had a really good time though. Her teachers and her classmates were all great but I was a little bummed to see that there wasn't a "Mom" connection there. Well, I could see being friends with one of the moms but no play dates were set up. I don't know if I'm brave enough to call her up out of the blue and ask her to come over and play. She does have a 2 year old little boy so it might be kind of perfect. When I lived in Springfield, Il I had to be brave because I was so desperately lonely. I would have invited over that nice Mom for lunch that day! I used to go to McDonalds and scope out the play land to see who I should sit closer to in hopes that Kimberly would play with their kids. I trained her from a very young age to go up to strange children and say, "Hi! I'm Kimberly...do you want to play with me?" Yes it's true...I used my toddler to make friends.

Jeff was the one I had to thank for meeting Eva though. He talked to her husband when we were at a chinese food buffet and pretty much set up a play date for us. After Eva and I became great friends she told me that the first night she met me she was annoyed because I smiled so much. Tee hee...I smiled because I knew that I was going to make her be my friend whether she liked it or not. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The formely know Liz Encanto,

Cute story! I love hearing about your family. I like that you have a different blog site. I may just copy your idea. There are people at my work who read my blog, i don't really want them to, but when i set it to perferred they say crap about it, which makes me feel bad and i don't really know what to say "Oh, i don't like you well enough..."

Renae Encanto

Anonymous said...

I can't spell anymore.... formely "known"

Post a Comment